Thursday, September 26, 2013

THE PIRATES WILL WIN IT ALL...

... According to my 9 year old.

I have a baseball family.  The majority of my family are Yankee fans.  In their young age, I explained the evil of the Red Sox, the rivalry, and how the Yankees are always champions.  That’s what most of you do and that’s what Red Sox fans do with their children as well... only it's reversed.  It’s brainwashing, sure, but that’s what makes the rivalry fun.  Besides, right now it looks like the Sox have this in the bag… I tip my cap to John Farrell. It's interesting what happens to a club when players respect their manager, right Bobby V?

My 9 year old is a Pirates fan, but being their fan didn’t start this year.  That started about 4 years ago when he was much younger and had absolutely no interest in baseball.  At the dinner table one night, he asked why I had a hat in my collection with a big yellow “P” on it. 


Growing up a baseball fan, I appreciated guys like Willie Stargell and was able to witness the “We are Family” Pirates run in 1979.  For baseball, it was magical, but as we all know… the Pirates have stunk up the joint for a while since. I explained the history and how they weren't very good. He looked up from his broccoli and said...  “I pick the Pirates!"

I said, “OK, then you can have the hat.” My older son laughed at him. I grinned.  My wife said, “How sweet is he?”  


Fast forward to 2 nights ago. The Pirates clinching their playoff spot for the first time in 21 years. The next morning, I walked into my son’s room and I put that Pirates cap on his bed with the rest of his clothes for school.  I touched his sleeping cheek and he opened his eyes.  The Pirates are in the playoffs, Peanut.”, I said.

“Does that mean they won it?” he asked… clearly he’s not a baseball fan and I don’t care, he’s the sweetest boy ever. “No, It means they’re good and they have a great shot,” I said.   

“I knew it,” he said... and he rolled over.


If you asked my 9 year old who Andrew McCutchen or AJ Burnett or Jason Grilli was, he wouldn’t know and wouldn’t care.  He likes the underdog. That’s because for much of his sporting life, my son was the underdog.  He tries, he appreciates the support in any sport he does, but he doesn’t have the coordination, nor the talent like my 11 year old does.  He chose the Pirates years ago because he knew they weren’t too good. For me, it seemed like symbolism. Whether he knew it or not is another post for another time.  The point is, the Pirates were him… and now the Pirates have a big shot of being champions and he’ll ride it, not knowing who’s pitching and not sure what the playoffs actually mean. That's my Peanut... always an underdog, yet still the most popular kid in the room.

My 9 year old is the sweetest kid in the world.  Everyone loves him.  Last night in Boston Market we were on line and he was asking many questions...like how the Rotisserie chickens were made.  He was full of questions… questions I didn’t have answers too, but I fudged it.  As he went to the drinking fountain, the cashier looked at me smiling… “Oh my God, I love him! He is so cute.” “Thanks,” I said. She was right.

My guy will suck you in...no doubt about it. He’s got a dynamic personality, an amazing vocabulary… and he’s the underdog, looking for his “thing.” The best part… he’s mine and right now no one wants the Pirates to win it all more than me. I want them to win it for him, because that symbolism is an amazing tool… it’s a thread, and if it picks up my son a bit and gives him alittle extra confidence in his life… well… that’s fine with me. Why? Because my 9 year old deserves everything that comes his way…. including having the Pittsburgh Pirates win it all.  For his sake… I hope they do.

I was hoping the Yankees made it... a Pirates vs. Yankees World Series.  OK.. fine. Now I'm just getting crazy.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017