Thursday, July 25, 2013

WHAT HAPPENED TO PRONK?

That is the million dollar question. Early in the season it was all about Pronk! He has hit some very memorable home runs for us this season and given us a lot to smile about and write about here....but not lately. I keep trying to convince myself that it is just a slump and not to read too into it. But is it?


I have always liked Travis Hafner. Back when he was with the Cleveland Indians he was a staple for the team. In 2006 he had a career year. Look at his achievements on baseball reference and it jumps out at you on the computer. He was a beast and the Indians were lucky to have him. Years ago I was wishing that we could snag him. Just like many other players, we do eventually end up getting them....but it's usually past their prime. Similarly here, I think we got Hafner a few years and a few injuries too late.

I am very thankful for what Hafner helped us do during the first half of the season. Without some of his timely hits we would not have won some of those games and we might be more than 7 games out of first place. But it is the second half now...and I don't know if it is just me but Hafner doesn't look like the same player to me. We need his bat now more than ever.


Maybe I am a little too paranoid here, but I am worried that something is wrong with Hafner. He looks different at the plate and even when he isn't hitting. The intensity isn't there. He is swinging at pitches that he wasn't even flinching at in the first half and he just doesn't look "locked in" to me at all. Maybe I am over analyzing it. I don't know....but it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

I think the Yankees have far too many needs right now to keep him. If he were hitting, I wouldn't be writing this right now, but fact is that he isn't. In the past two months he has a .160BA, he isn't getting on base and he is striking out more. I was actually relieved when Joe Girardi kept Brent Lillibridge in the game on Tuesday instead of pinch hitting him for Hafner. I never thought I would say that....but yes, I went there. Who knows, if Hafner would have come into the game Eduardo Nunez may not have crossed home plate that night and we may not have won the game. I hate to think about "what ifs" and go back in time because usually it does you no good but in this case I think you have to mention it.

The Yankees have a revolving door in the infield right now. We all know it. On Tuesday night My 9 asked viewers to vote on which area the Yankees needed the most improvement on and 51% of the fans voted on the infield. What does that mean? It means right now the Yankees should at least consider the fact that keeping someone who can ONLY be a designated hitter (and is not hitting lately) not a strategic move. Hafner hasn't been a position player since 2007 when he used to play first base and the Yankee bench is depleted.


If I were Brian Cashman I would start considering the idea of pairing Hafner with Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain and see what I can get back. I would ask check in on Carlos Pena. The Houston Astros aren't going to be a contender and Pena is pretty cheap and is going to be a free agent at the end of the year so the Yankees have nothing to lose here. He would also give the Yankees a proper backup at first base, which is something the Yankees are lacking. If Lyle Overbay goes down I will probably crawl up into the fetal position and cry hysterically because we would be screwed.

The Yankees need to make some moves. I don't really know where to begin at this point because the checklist is just so long. But the Yankees need to start somewhere. We can easily fill a DH....but if another man goes down and there is no replacement then it is going to be chaos. Now I feel like I need to go throw holy water over my shoulder, knock on wood and get my prayer beads out of my dresser drawer......

What would you do with Hafner? Should he stay or should he go? Tell us.





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor

Twitter: @NyPrincessJ

 




The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017