Monday, May 13, 2013

JOBA SAID WHAT?

I'm going to preface this by saying that I actually like Joba Chamberlain. I know there are some mixed feelings on the guy in Yankeeland, but I think he is a talented pitcher.

With that said, when I read that Joba told Mariano Rivera "Don't ever shush me again," I was pretty ticked off. For those who are confused, you can read the article yourself HERE, but basically Mo was doing an interview, Joba was speaking very loudly, and Mo asked him to quiet down. Joba responded by telling him never to shush him again. No biggie, except that it was done in public, in front of the media.

Okay, I get it, no one likes being shushed. And I would even have understood if he said something to Mo about it in private. Like in the clubhouse, away from the eye of the media. But to respond the way he did to Mo in front of journalist? It's just making a whole lot of unnecessary drama.

We all know the media is going to eat this up. We all know that they will question how well the team is really gelling together if the set-up man and closer can't even get along in public. It just screams 2012 Red Sox to me, and that just pisses me off.

Frankly, Joba attempting to justify his behavior by saying he was conversing with family, and saying that Mo does interviews every day, just makes him sound like a bitter child. Yea, Mo does interviews everyday. Why? Because he is a veteran player, that has earned the respect of baseball fans nationwide, on his farewell tour. It's not like he's not a rookie media whore.

I get it. Maybe Mo shouldn't have shushed him. Maybe he could have asked him politely to turn the volume down until the interview was over. But Joba's reaction to it was unacceptable. In Yankeeland, Mo is a baseball God. He is not a peon. He is the greatest closer of all time. He has more than earned the right to be respected by his teammates.

Joba, learn your place on the totem pole or they're be bigger problems ahead I'm afraid.

Casey will be putting together a piece on this as well... he has alot of thoughts and will let you know exactly where he stands on this as well.  Look for it later today.


--Erica Morales, BYB Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017