Sunday, May 12, 2013

A GREAT YANKEE NUGGET I DIDN'T KNOW...

I like when pitchers pitch perfect games. I like when they pitch no-hitters. Rarely do we ever think about the ones they "almost had".  That being said, I thought this was interesting.  On this day, May 12, 1953, Whitey Ford almost had a no-hitter.  But, according to history and to Chris Jaffe of the Hardball Times, HERE,  "Whitey Ford dang near hurled a no-hitter. He didn’t quite pull it off, falling short the most frustrating way possible. The sole hit tallied against him came from the bat of the opposing pitcher. Oh, and it wasn’t just any hit; it was an infield single."

Who hit it? Indians pitcher Early Wynn.  Check out the box score HERE.

Nice nugget Chris.  Thanks for the email and I'm happy to give you a shout... now give Bleeding Yankee Blue one back.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017