Wednesday, April 3, 2013

ROB-Z FIRING BORAS MAKES THE DIFFERENCE

You know that moment when you are in public, get some really awesome news, make a ton of noise about it and add a happy dance, only to realize that everyone is eyeballing you like you lost your mind? That was me, on the bus in the Bronx, when I heard about Robinson Cano firing Scott Boras.

I have written about Robbie, and this contract looming over him often. The truth is, while I tried to remain optimistic about it all, I knew the new frugal Steinbrenner's approach would have laughed Boras out of the office and landed Robbie in a new uniform. This move, is probably the best thing that Robbie could have done. I cannot stress enough how much I dislike the way Boras does business. I feel like he is greedy and cares very little about his clients. His bottom line is making sure he gets a decent amount to line his pockets with. Even if it means that his clients sell their integrity for it. The truth is, with Boras as his agent, Robbie was as good as gone.




So yeah, when I heard the news, I broke out into my own rendition of "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead." Then I started wondering which agent or agency Robbie would seek out to help him with his contract talks. I mean, let's face it, Robbie is about to become the best free agent on the market. Offers were going to start pouring in and he could use the help. There were a number of names that came to mind. But none was Jay-Z.

Okay, I would just like to point out, before I continue, that Jay-Z is not Robbie's agent. Creative Artist Agency, a company that is partnered with Roc Nation, is. It kind of works like signing a musical artist, except it's an athlete. Roc Nation Sports said to Robbie "Hey, you want to play?" Robbie said yes. Then they replied with "Cool. Sign here and your new representative will be CAA." Make sense? Robbie's team will be led by Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA. It's all very confusing, I know.

I've had some time to think about this today. I really love that Robbie fired Boras. If baseball were a person, Boras would be a skin eating disease. Too harsh? Maybe, but my opinion remains the same. It shows that Robbie is maturing. Boras couldn't make the distraction of contract talks go away, so he went elsewhere. Good on him. It's also a flag to the Yankees brass that he is not his agent.

Despite the fact that Boras has previously been able to negotiate with the Yankees, it was becoming painfully clear that they had about enough of him. CAA has successfully negotiated contracts for Ryan Braun, Matt Cain and Adam Jones, so they are no strangers to the game.

Still, I feel like it is a little premature to throw up the confetti and consider it a done deal. Remember in 2010, where Jay-Z all but gave his guarantee that LeBron James would play for the Nets? Saying that Mikhail Prokhorov could pay out enough to make it happen? Well, let's just ask James how much he enjoys Brooklyn. Oh... wait. Jay-Z is a Brooklyn native and means well. He is all about New York City, representing the city, and is a decent businessman. Plus, he's a Yankee fan. But having his name attached to your career does not automatically mean you will play in New York.


Look, the bottom line is, Robbie is still in the same position he was yesterday. The only difference is the people standing in his corner of the ring. We knew what Boras' fight plan was, but Van Wagenen is a variable. He'll get Robbie his contract, no problem. But we still don't know for a fact that it will be with the Yankees. All we do know is that the Yankees won't have to deal with Boras and that might make them more likely to want to talk with Robbie.


--Erica Morales, BYB Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017