Thursday, April 11, 2013

BYB EXCLUSIVE: TY HENSLEY TALKS POST SURGERY

  "I don't focus on the things I can't control. I spend my time focusing on what I can control... my attitude, my work ethic, and my skill level and I strive everyday to separate myself in that way because ultimately it is those things that will get me where I want to go."
 --Ty Hensley

You know how much we love Ty Hensley and his family here.  We posted a piece last week being careful not to step on the Yankees toes when we heard about some important information that Ty needed surgery to correct an abdomen strain.  Read GET WELL SOON TY HENSLEY for the full context on that.

That being said, we root for Ty everyday at BYB and when you heard the news, you, the BYB readers rallied.  So, I am happy to let you know that we were able to ask Ty a few questions since his surgery last week, and it's exclusive to the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers.  Consider it a "Thank you."  We appreciate the Hensley family for being so generous and just great friends. Personally, I consider them family and without any more delay, I bring you this exclusive interview with Ty Hensley, post surgery.

Thank you Ty for taking the time!

BYB: Ty, people want to know... what the heck happened? I mean, when did you know there was something bothering you with your abdomen strain and when was it finally confirmed that the hip was the issue?

Ty Hensley: I was getting ready in the bullpen for what would be my second to last outing of the season, when I felt I painful pop in my stomach area.  I didn't know what it was and went out and pitched through it, but I knew something was up because I never had experienced pain like that.  It was discovered I had stained my rectus abdominus pretty good. 

Muscles heal on their own, so I closed the season, rested a couple weeks and got back to training.  I came into Spring Training in the best shape of my life. In my bullpens, I showed improved command of all three pitches, with no ab pain.  In my first outing of the season, I struck out the first three batters I faced, but to my disappointment with each pitch, I could feel a familiar pain, but in a different place. It was confirmed a couple of days later I did indeed strained my ab again.  

Here is where I really want to give my organization credit. I don't think the average fan understands what it takes to keep their athletes on the field.  I wouldn't have imagined that the problem could be tied to my hips, I mean, why should I?  I never had any pain there at all, but the Yankee doctors knew that it could be a possibility and they sent me to see Dr. Kelly in New York City who confirmed I had a condition called FAI or Femoralacetabular (Hip) Impingement.  It is not really an injury, but something that happens to athletes when they are in their growth years. My femoral head grew in a way that did not fit into my socket causing my hip not to rotate as it should.  In me, my abs picked up the slack and starting doing it's job.  After a while the abs just didn't want to do it anymore.  The scary part is that I have been operating since sometime in my teens with virtually no hip rotation, (in pitching that is where you get your power and explosiveness), and running up to 97-98. What is going to happen when I have that to work with?  I guess you can say I am pretty anxious to find out! 

BYB: When doctors suggest "surgery", it obviously messes in your head and you start to think about your future.  What was your reaction?

Ty Hensley: My very first reaction was anger and disappointment.  I just want to do what I love to do.  After the shoulder issue with the draft that isn't an issue, I just wanted to prove to everyone I was fine. Even with a blown ab, I was throwing 93 in my Spring Training outing.  I have been around this game my whole life and injuries are a part of it, but not being able to play when you want to more then you want to breathe is just infuriating.  Not the picture I had in may head for the next few months, but if it was going to be an issue at some point, it's better to get it over with now.


BYB: You mentioned in a Tweet the other day that you were already biking.  Obviously it's stationary.  But did they literally make you get up the next day and start to work that hip?

Ty Hensley: Yes.  I am currently doing legwork for 4-5 hours a day along with ice and compression for 3 hours.

BYB: The healing and rehab time is 2-3 months.  Once that happens, what's the plan?

Ty Hensley: The plan is to get back to work and get used to all that rotation I have never have had.  I wondered why at times I couldn't stay over my back leg the way I really wanted to, no matter how much I tried or watched video. Well, now I know.  It wasn't physically possible.

BYB: Bleeding Yankee Blue readers were devastated last week when they heard your news.  When did you get back on Twitter and see all the messages from our readers and your fans? Describe that feeling.

Ty HensleyI was on Twitter reading the messages right up to the time they took me back. Reading the different tweets and Facebook messages made me feel like I had a really big family and that feels great.  I believe 100% in the power of prayer, and knowing that the Big Man had so many people talking to him on my behalf was very humbling.
(In Photo: Luke Scott) 
BYB: How has the rest of your team been with the support? Who is one teammate who's been really breaking your chops the most, especially now that we know everything's going to be OK?

Ty Hensley: The guys have been great!  Everyone was busy sealing their starting spots for the Spring and they made time to reach out and wish me well, so I really appreciated them taking the time to reach out.  My buddy Luke Scott has been there for me during the process as well as managers, etc.  I wish I could make this more entertaining, but I think everyone understood how disappointed I was to be in this situation so they have been pretty cool about ragging on me too much.  I suppose once I get back to Tampa though, all bets are off on that! 


BYB: On a side note, tell me about the BeEdmond Suicide Prevention program you are working on and how is everything going?

Ty Hensley: BeEdmond is a project aimed at ending the feeling of isolation that comes with suicidal thoughts.  The concept is connecting people to the resources in their communities through their cell phones when they need them the most.  The phone app that we are developing will connect people to their communities in many different ways in addition to providing help in times of crisis in they way they communicate today, texting, etc.  Things are going well. My mom checked in with Kathy Matthews of Edmond Family Counseling, who created this project last week and they are getting close to that initial $40,000 to build the application for the smart phones.  We picked up a huge local sponsor in Citizen's Bank so that helped a great deal.  


(In Photo: Mat Hoffman)
The team shot a second PSA this week featuring Mat Hoffman of the BMX world and President of Hoffman Bikes who is also from Edmond.  The project is catching momentum and that is what is going to make this thing happen.  Bleeding Yankee Blue and it's readers are a big part of that momentum, so thanks for the continued support of this important cause.

BYB: Finally... you have the floor. You can say anything you want right now to the BYB readers as well as Yankee fans across the country.  I give it to you...

Ty Hensley: I would like to thank a lot of people for their support and interest.  I am always humbled when I have someone say that I inspire them, or they want to watch me play.  It frustrates me beyond belief that I can't do those things right now!  I certainly didn't sign up to be the poster boy for medical "abnormalities", I signed up to play ball.  I would much rather be answering questions about my performance.  The medical issues are public knowledge, so I don't see the point of trying to avoid the subject.  Having gone through some of this myself has really opened up my eyes on some things that are reported or speculated about when it comes to players and their health.  I suppose it's part of it, but Wow, some of it is just brutal!  I didn't have a choice when it came to a hip condition that has been around since I was 15, or a normal shoulder variant I was born with. If I had to go through this to be better or have a longer career so be it. It is part of the plan, and not my favorite part I might add.  I don't focus on the things I can't control. I spend my time focusing on what I can control... my attitude, my work ethic, and my skill level and I strive everyday to separate myself in that way because ultimately it is those things that will get me where I want to go.  I am here, I am a New York Yankee, and I am, almost...Living the Dream!" 


Ty, the bottom line is we are behind you 100%.  I have been a Yankee fan since I've been about 6 or 7.  In my lifetime, I have seen heroes and players come and go.  When I became a father, I made it point to steer my children toward players who are positive, who play hard and work hard off the field.  Derek Jeter has been one that my sons enjoy watching and mimicking and learning from.  I'm happy to say that as you develop in the Yankee system, they will follow your work ethic, career and achievements as well.  You have a positive head on your shoulders and an amazing family who supports each other.  There is nothing better than that, and I wish you the best recovery and the biggest success in pinstripes and in life ever.

Thanks so much to Ty and the Hensley family for being so wonderful to the Bleeding Yankee Blue family! The bond will never be broken and we appreciate that.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017