Sunday, March 17, 2013

OPENING DAY IN THE BRONX: NEW BEGINNINGS & NEW MEMORIES

After the last game of the each season, I wait impatiently for Opening Day to arrive. It's been happening for years.  Whether we win the World Series or not, I long to hear those two magical words, "Play Ball!" The off-season here in New York is a cold and long one for this Bomber Die-hard. Of course, when we get swept as we did in 2012, it becomes that much longer.
 Now along comes a new season and with it comes a clean slate. It's my opinion that we forget about the disappointments of past seasons. Opening day is coming.... it's a new beginning. Like seedlings in the garden, we await the blossoms.  We're all Yankee fans and with it, we have new hopes for a World Series championship. Granted, some of the haters along with the faithful are pessimistic about our chances this season due to all the non signings this past winter. But I'm here to tell you, I disagree with the negativity.

Along with a new season comes new players ready to accept the challenge of playing for our beloved Bombers and become a part of history.
(In Photo: Zoilo Almonte)
These kids named Zoilo Almonte, Melky Mesa, Ronnier Mustelier and David Phelps could become legends alongside other Yankees greats in the House that Jeter Built.  At the end of the day, it is that what makes me so excited come every Opening Day every year.  new beginnings, new opportunities and new memories.  The possibility that I could be witnessing a legend in the making as I did back in 1996 is exciting.

You remember right?  It was then there we witnessed a skinny kid from Kalamazoo hit a HR at Jacobs Field in the first game of the season. Mark my words... it can happen again.

So, we're a few weeks away and when I hear the umpire scream "Play ball!" on Opening Day, there will be a thrill and a chill running down my spine. For me, it's a brand new chapter in the glorious history of our New York Yankees... and I cannot wait for 2013.

Thanks for reading and welcoming my into the Bleeding Yankee Blue family.  Let me know how I did... comment.


 --Carlos Gee, BYB Writer





Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017