Wednesday, October 17, 2012

WITHOUT HITTING, THE YANKEES NEED A MIRACLE


I don’t even know where to start, there’s just too much to critique here. I don’t know what happened to this team, but now we are talking about digging ourselves out of a HISTORIC hole. Do you remember the last team that came back to win a 0-3 series? I’m sure you remember, but just in case it was the 2004 Boston Red Sox. I can’t believe I am even associating these two teams in the same context, it makes me sick!

There is only one thing I can compare the Yankees to right now….and that is The Walking Dead. Once again, we benched ARod and Nick Swisher because they aren’t hitting. This is the postseason, we NEED these guys to play and be productive. Some may say I am being a little dramatic here, but look at the facts. Every single game of this series we have wasted every opportunity to score until the 9th inning. 


Last night was no different, this time Eduardo Nunez blasts a solo homerun into left field. Sure, it got us on the scoreboard finally….but that is just too little too late. These signs of life need to show up before the 9th inning, the Yankees cannot expect to win ballgames in the postseason like this. EVERYONE at this stage is good.

I hate to ruffle feathers here, but I saw something in last night’s game that I really just did not like. I took one look at my screen right before Nunez hit the homerun and I see Robbie Cano…..playing with his gum. Was it an unfortunate catch in front of the camera? Maybe. Am I being overly critical here? Maybe I am, but I don’t think so. Fact is, Cano in in the middle of an 0 for 29 hitless streak so gum should be the last thing on his mind right now. This team looks lost, and when I look on the field and see a professional ballplayer stretching out his gum and playing with it like a child it upsets me. The Yankees were in the middle of a lack luster game, trying to pull off another miracle while I was sitting on the edge of my couch….and Robbie is playing with gum like it is a toy? This is do or die time, the fans want to see your head in the game. It isn’t "time to check out" right now. We are one game away from taking a very long winter vacation. We know it will come eventually, but we want another ring before that happens!

While the Yankees are imitating the Walking Dead out on the field, there is one guy on the Tigers that is just the opposite, in fact I would compare him to the Energizer Bunny because he keeps going, and going, and going….and I WISH the Yankees were doing this. 

Delmon Young is tearing the cover off of the ball and has had two key home runs in this series. We mentioned that neutralizing his bat would be key when we previewed this series HERE. The Yankees can do this too, and they should be doing this.

I love my team, but I do not love what they are doing out there. This is the postseason, and the expectations are high. Today is win or go home empty handed again. I can’t stomach losing to the Tigers for the second year in a row. Our pitchers are doing their job, now we need to find a way to make the bats do their part. It’s not over yet. We have CC on the mound today, and then Andy. I like the odds with those guys out there…..so it’s time to go big or go home, boys. We know you can do it…..


Finally, I leave you with this; the last 2 teams to bat .200 in the post season were the 1974 Oakland Athletics and the 1986 New York Mets... both went on to win the World Series... yup, that's right, I'm telling you there's a chance!

GAME ON, fellas! Show us what you got!





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017