Saturday, September 22, 2012

MELKY DID GOOD, BUT SELIG'S GOT SOME EXPLAINING TO DO

Newspaper columnist Bob Klapisch writes a good piece every day.  Many times, I yell at my Bergen Record... Damn you Klapischhh!!!!  
Another good piece today titled Melky Cabrera did right thing bowing out, but come on Bob, how much is Major League Baseball paying you so you can say kind words about them? 

Let's agree on this; Melky Cabrera did what was morally right, he requested to be taken out of contention for the National League Batting title. That was great. That's not what I have a beef with. My beef is what Major League Baseball said 1 day earlier about the NL batting title.

They said that they wouldn't interfere, read HERE. Selig said “We’ll see how it all plays out... We generally don’t interfere in that process. We’ll take a look at it at the end of the year.”  So what's my point? Simple, How is that good for baseball and Selig? The only thing they did was agree to withdraw Melky's name, but Melky made the request, MLB didn't do anything. The solution fell in their lap.


It's my opinion that MLB should have pushed "rules" aside, took the reigns of their "Clean up of PEDs in Major League Baseball" campaign and acted like the authoirty. They are the ones that should have made the decision, before Melky came forward. Remember that dog and pony show in front of Congress that sparked this whole thing?

Remember Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro being asked hard questions about PEDs in baseball? Remember Major League baseball coming forward after that enforcing new rules? MLB should have dropped the hammer the day Melky admitted it.  But no, they found the easy way out, they waited it out in the hopes that fans would forget again.
I love what  Melky Cabrera did yesterday, but I'm skittish when it comes to Major League Baseball, because it's personal for me.  Kids want answers. My kid wants answers.  Kids are confused and kids need to know that cheating is wrong, not just from their parents, but by the sports they follow. Remember, they want to be like these athletes.  Sure, Melky stepping forward was huge, but MLB needs to make stronger and tougher punishments for PEDs in baseball, bottom line.


And yeah, I've been beating this drum for a while now and I know, it's old and tired and I apologize.  But finally, Klapisch writes that everyone should be a fan of this purge because "it would slow cheating to a trickle." I disagree. Trickle only comes when the authority drops the hammer.  MLB is the authority. I doubt there will be a trickle, but I hope I'm wrong.

Sure, Klapisch and I disagree on things quite a bit, but damn he makes you think. You need to admire that.  OK, enough with Melky and PEDs... time for breakfast.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017