Friday, September 21, 2012

MELKY CABRERA'S "MORAL" HOMER IS HIS BIGGEST HIT YET

Bravo to Melky Cabrera. Yeah, I've been hollering for weeks that Major League Baseball should do something to stop Melky from winning the National League batting title, he cheated and admitted it. It was a no-brainer to me. I found it spineless that Major League Baseball couldn't understand that everything they had been "fighting" against when it came to PEDs in baseball was right there in front of them with Melky's failed test and admission, yet, he was still in the running (read HERE.).

But one thing happened today that made me realize that everyone deserves a second chance when they make a mistake. Melky Cabrera not only took the high road, he wiped the slate clean for me personally. He requested to withdraw himself from the race and I applaud him, read HERE. As he said in his statement:

"I ask the Players Association to take the necessary steps, in conjunction with the Office of the Commissioner, to remove my name from for the National League batting title."  MLB could have said "No", but they didn't. I'm glad.  Melky got huge points from me. It takes a big man to do that kind of thing, but he knew he wasn't worthy and guys like Andrew McCutchen and Buster Posey are.
In this world there are men and mice. Melky became a man today. He wanted to be the best in baseball and cheated his way to the top thinking he was a man, but that was small. It was mouse-like. Ironically he became a man admitting he didn't belong there, it was the right thing to do, morally at least.

You guys know how this whole mess started for me.  I was getting sick and tired of my kid telling me "I like this guy", referring to a hot hitter. That would then be followed up with "Is he on drugs?" How the hell do I answer that?  So yeah, when the Melky failed test and admission came down, I told my son straight. On a personal note, I was angry at Melky, but I became more angry at Major League Baseball when it became more and more evident to me that Bud Selig couldn't make hard decisions unless of course it had to do with ties in All-Star games. Melky became the man, he admitted his mistakes, Selig became the mouse.

But now what? The season goes on, the same testing will continue and MLB will continue "as is". Fans will forget until the next big name gets caught. Then we'll do this all over again. So, I ask for 1 final request Major League Baseball; If you aren't going to come up with a zero tolerance policy, or alter the fine system or suspension system, I ask you again, think long and hard about a Public Service Announcement. Get the failed drug user in front of a camera and have them, talk to the young fans telling them cheating is wrong. It would help a dad like me trying to give my kids good advice and life lessons. This way, if a kid's sports hero does fail a drug test, they can tell them themselves and I don't have to keep apologizing for these ballplayers. I'm tired of it, I really am.

Kudos to Melky Cabrera, now we turn the page, or at least I can.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017