Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I GOT THE LOWE DOWN... AND I LIKE IT

I like when I'm proved wrong by the Yankee brass or by the actually player that I have no faith in. Derek Lowe not only looked like a Yankee last night against Texas, he played like a Yankee. Thank God.  Lowe's line last night was 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R and struck out 4.  Oh and he also go the Save, which means he's tied with David Robertson for saves this season on the Yanks. Silly stat, but significant for the tale I'm about to tell.

Now Lowe's debut means 1 thing, if he can deliver like that for the rest of the season, we not only have our long man, we have another guy that had to reinvent himself to keep a job in the major leagues.  Lowe's success this run will be key, not only for the Yankees, but for his future as well.  If Lowe can come in as a middle reliever and shut them down with all he's got, he can last another 10 years in relief easily in the majors.  Sure, I'm all gitty for the guy right now, after all, I was the first person to suggest the signing of Lowe would be a total failure, but like I said, I like when Brian Cashman has an idea up his sleeve that I don't see.  I like when these guys take the field and just have an amazing outing or play or pitching performance, something so good, that fans look at them and think, "Man oh man, where has this guy been all year?" I love that, that's baseball, that's life and anytime you can strike while the iron's hot, or just try to do something different just to stay a float and succeed, well, I applaud you, no doubt.
Plenty of successful starters have fizzled and came back as relievers. I'm particularly fond of Dennis Eckersley and Kerry Wood, but believe me, it happens alot and when it works, it works.  Maybe it will work for Lowe. Sure, it's one outing but that confidence will follow him around for more than a few games now I hope.
Lowe said something tonight that stuck with me. It's significant and important to every Yankee fan out there, because, let's face it, I look at Lowe and I still see him as a Red Sock.  He said “So far, so good...I’m not going to do jumping jacks tonight because you pitched one good game. We’re in this thing for the long haul.”(Read HERE)


"We're in this thing for the long haul." Think about that. That quote doesn't sound like an enemy at all.  It sounds like a teammate, a teammate of my Yankees that wants to win it all for us Yankee fans, whether it's starting or relieving or whatever.  I found new light in Derek Lowe after reading that quote.  Lowe could be a champion with my Yankees, and last night was a damn good start.  So Derek, I tip my cap. You did good old man, but keep going because we like what we see! Oh... and Go Yankees!

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017