Monday, July 16, 2012

"SEE YA, WOULDN'T WANNA BE YA!"

I'm not sure how many people caught yesterday's broadcast on YES, but one conversation between Paul O'Neill and Michael Kay was FANTASTIC. YES ran some video of people buying "SEE YA" t-shirts. For those who don't know, "See Ya" is Michael Kay's home run call. This lead to Paul O'Neill asking Kay about the origin of his catchphrase.
Kay replied, "20 years ago when I was getting into the business, I was dating a lovely young woman. Whenever I would drop her off, she would always say 'see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya'. So I can thank her." Hey, I love that story bro.

Now, I'm not going to hate on Michael Kay, like most people. He's got his thing and it works. I'll also give him some credit for realizing the audience isn't stupid. He was honest, something his radio counterparts can't seem to do.
Don't know what I mean? How about the so called "Voice of the New York Yankees". He continues to stick to the story and all of his nicknames and other schtick just "comes to him" in the moment. Oh please. I'm not buying that for a second. I think we're all convinced he's stayed up for days writing the perfect nickname, right John? Just be honest with us Mr. Sterling. The audience will appreciate you more, just like Kay and his story about "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya."


And while we're on the topic of home run calls, how insufferable has Home Run Derby become on ESPN? Chris Berman is such a one trick pony. "Back Back Back, Oooooooooo" Oooooooooo? I'd rather do a Vincent Van Gogh to myself than listen to that ever again.

What worked in early 90's isn't still working 20 years later Chris. Get some new material. ESPN was smart to dump Jon Miller & Joe Morgan from Sunday Night Baseball. PLEASE do us all a favor and dump Berman from Home Run Derby.

Latest word from Bristol is that Berman will be teaming up with Trent Dilfer to call the second Monday Night Football game on opening weekend. I'll be opting for the radio that night. Thanks.


--Lem Allen, BYB Contributor
ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017