Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I WAS AT OLD TIMERS' DAY!

On Sunday, July 1st, the Yankees held their 66th annual Old Timers Day. And I was lucky enough to be sitting in section 203!
Let me start by saying the experience was simply amazing! Anyone who has ever been to an Old Timers' Day game can tell you that the energy level is through the roof. During batting practice Bernie Williams and Paul O’Neill both hit some pretty solid homers to right field and even though it was just batting practice, those in attendance still cheered their hearts out. When John Sterling and Michael Kay began announcing the line-up for Old Timers' Day, it was almost electric! But the response from the crowd for Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra was probably my favorite. Everyone was standing, making as much noise as possible to honor two of the greatest living legends.

The real treat for me was watching Williams, O’Neill, Tino Martinez, Cecil Fielder and all the other players from the 1990’s on the field again. I’m a 90’s kid. Those were the guys that I grew up watching. I literally jumped out of my seat, clapping and hopping up and down, when Bernie and Tino were announced. I’m used to Goose Gossage, Mickey Rivers, Reggie Jackson and others being “Old Timers” (although Reggie made an awesome catch in RF that made me giggle to think of him as “Old”). I still feel like the 90’s are just around the last corner. Over all, despite these guys not playing on the team anymore, they are still our Yankee greats and the energy in the stadium proved just that.


As for the game that followed, there is probably no better way to end the day then with that win. Phil Hughes is finally proving to fans that he can be a dominant force on the mound. He only gave up two runs in the first inning and pitched seven scoreless innings after that. Runs that were answered by Eric Chavez who hit a two run homer in the second, and Robinson Cano who also hit a two run homer in the third.

On my Yankee Fan Bucket List, I have crossed off being at a game where we clinch the division (September 21st, 2011 when Jorge Posada hit a two run single), and attending an Old Timers' Game. If I’m lucky, Opening Day will be next. I cannot wait to be able to write about that experience!
 



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer




ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017