Sunday, July 22, 2012

CAN IBANEZ & JONES KEEP IT GOING?

"When they call your name, be ready." 
-- Andruw Jones to Pete Caldera

Our title is actually a great question and one that no one is asking...except for Pete Caldera of the Bergen Record.  Everyone else is talking about upgrades, or their lack of athletic ability on the field...us included!  Caldera took the high road. His thinking is, they're on the Yankees, they've really turned it on as of late, but can they actually keep it up? Kudos Pete, you always get the nugget that the rest of us miss.

In a piece titled Potent Pinstripe Platoon, read HERE, Caldera takes the positive route. While BYB is always "concerned" about things, Caldera eases my worry and there are some great quotes from Ibanez, Jones and even DeWayne Wise, all guys in the mix since the the injury to Brett Gardner.
Raul Ibanez says of his age at this point in the season, “Especially the older you get, you don’t train the same. You actually step up your training...I don’t understand how to not do something all-out. Most players don’t.” I freaking love Ibanez.


Andruw Jones, who my son reminds me is always smiling when he approaches the batter's box, looks damn comfortable and happy right now.  Jones says “We’ve got a lot of guys on that bench that can go out and get the job done...”

When Caldera asked Wise about being in New York, Wise said “I think for me it was an easy decision as far as signing over here... At my age, you want to go somewhere, you’re wanted and these guys have tried to get me for three years now — [general manager Brian] Cashman told me that last month.”
And think about this;  Did you know that Andruw Jones and Raul Ibanez combined have 24 home runs, 66 RBIs in 373 at bats entering last night's game? Ladies and Gentlemen... I didn't even realize that, but I'll take it, believe me.

Look, it's true, there's no doubt the trade deadline is coming and with Nick Swisher now hurt and Brett Gardner out for the rest of the season (most likely), we've all piled on.  It was nothing against guys like Jones, Ibanez and Wise, but we're Yankee fans, we are always looking for an upgrade.  But as Pete Caldera points out,  the guys we have are good, they're hungry and they may be all we need.

By the way, read our interview with Pete Caldera here (NO ONE DOES THE YANKEES BETTER THAN PETE CALDERA.)  He's one of the guys I've been reading for years and you should too...you may learn something.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017