Monday, June 11, 2012

THE BEST YANKEE BASEBALL IS WHAT WE'VE NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN

I’m a nut for old baseball footage and photographs of the greats.  Guys like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, Jimmy Foxx and Hank Greenberg, the list goes on and on.  I wasn’t alive for any of them, but baseball will always fascinate me because without these guys, you don’t have guys likeDerek Jeter and you don’t have grandparents telling their grandkids about the time they saw the Babe call his shot, or Cobb going spikes high into third.  Baseball is the greatest sport in the world to me.

Recently on You Tube there was rare footage of the WorldSeries in 1939 and there’s some music attached to it and to be honest, it may be some of the coolest footage I’ve ever seen.  I just goes to show that someone else out there loves it or they would never have released it.  Check it out, it’s below:

Over the weekend I was lucky enough to stumble across this photograph of Babe Ruth from 1924.  This picture was a partical publicity stunt because he’s dressed in a National Guard outfit.  But truth be told, doing some research I was able to conclude that he actually spent 3 years in the national guard, according to this article HERE.  Any way you slice it, It’s rare and I never saw it before.


These images are incredible and that’s why moments like Don Mattingly’s popcorn moment is so special. Yes, I was alive when it happened and yes, I remember seeing it happen, but for years it’s only been talked about and not shown.  We were able to find that video (Read WHY IT'S THE GREATEST MATTINGLY MOMENT EVER) and posted it back in April, but it’s those forgotten moments that are really special in baseball history. 

How about this photograph of Mickey Mantle from his website, owned by his family.  This is the most incredible picture of the Mick that I’ve ever seen and now if one of my favorites of the Mick.  And now I’ll give the Mantle family a plug…their website is www.MickeyMantle.com  Go there, check it out, it’s incredibly special.

Yeah, I’m a sucker for the old stuff.  Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade, but truth be told, I still love baseball today, I love the players, the game and I’m thankful it all stemmed from back in the day, when things looked simple and baseball was at it’s beginning. 

Not that I’m advertising for Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame at all, but now that I mention it, if you haven’t been, you should go, it’s the greatest place on earth for any true baseball fan. Here's their website...www.baseballhall.org. 

Damn… what a great game.

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017