Friday, May 25, 2012

WHY ALEX RODRIGUEZ KNOWS HIS ROLE

2 home runs in the game against the Royals 2 nights ago was big (Read HERE), make no mistake about it.  Alex Rodriguez needed that and I believe that now that he's homered, consistency will come into play and not only will he get his rhythm, he'll be Alex again.  No, I don't mean Alex from the Texas Rangers days when he was the greatest player on the planet...that would be a silly prediction.  I'm merely suggesting that perhaps Alex will get that jolt he needs to start hitting close to like he did in those few MVP seasons (2005 and 2007) as a New York Yankee.  I actually don't think that's unrealistic. Even Alex said earlier in the week...he's starting to feel good, "I feel like I’m taking really good swings, I’m seeing the ball well... Every time I go up there, I feel like I’m going to crush.''  He's close.

Wally Matthews of ESPN wrote a bold commentary the other day.  He wrote a piece titled ARod's days of being great are over. Wow, that's a revelation.  Isn't that obvious? The guys 36 years old, Alex is slowing down, no one is expecting him to bat .350 and have 50 home runs anymore.  What we do want as fans is consistency or, a guy that's clutch at the right time...maybe like in that 2009 playoff run where he carried the Yankees to the finish line like a true champion.  In fairness, Wally expressed how Alex is still good, but still struggles.  He writes: "...On Monday, with his team struggling for runs, he had a chance to make a huge difference with one swing, but instead took two bad swings at two pitches down around his ankles. He heard the boos that night, and he was hearing them again Tuesday..."
All true, but now I'm going to make a bold statement. Alex will be fine.  I think those 2 home runs on Wednesday were significant.  I think he knows the pressure to hit is upon him and I think now, years later he's old enough and mature enough to know what is expected of him if you wear the pinstripes.  Alex grew up in 2009 when he won a ring...he became a New York Yankee and since then he realizes the importance of delivering not only for the team, but for the fans.

Yes, I believe in ARod and I hope this West coast road trip is huge for both the team and for Alex.  Let's hope so at least.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017