Sunday, April 15, 2012

WHY IT'S THE TALE OF 2 YANKEES

I believe in Phil Hughes. I have always believed in Phil Hughes. Partly because I believe he has the stuff the become a truly great pitcher and partly because I am rooting for this man to get back after a bad luck season of 2011. But it's clear to me, and him...and to all of us that if starts like yesterday's continue, this kid's going to be put on the curb with the rest of the trash. I don't mean to sound harsh, I do mean to give you the harsh reality though. Yankee fans want the "now", not the "soon" and time's running out for the Golden Boy Phil Hughes.

It became more evident today after I read more and more about young David Phelps, a kid on a mission, the Phil Hughes of 2012, the mighty Boy Wonder...a kid with more guts and confidence that I haven't seen since, well...Phil Hughes back in 2006 when he was compared to Roger Clemens. Read HERE.Hughes was supposed to be the next big thing, and he still can be. One bad start in 2012 does not a career make. He's had some great moments, a terrific relief pitcher in 2009 when the Yankees won the whole damn thing, and an 18 game season in 2010, but 2011 punched this kid with a black eye. Was it his fault? No, but it goes on his record, that's for sure. It's not fair, it's business and Phil knows that. He also knows he needs to become the guy we're all waiting for and 2012 is the year to do that...or else.
Ken Davidoff of the New York Post writes about what I've been bitching about for the past year, read HERE. He writes it here: "This scholarship is coming to an end. Potential doesn’t pay the bills in the American League East. If Hughes can’t improve his results shortly, he will be out of the Yankees’ starting rotation and, quite possibly, out of their future altogether."

That's it in a nutshell, the writing's on the wall. Now, I won't give up on Phil Hughes yet and I have always believed he could be a very useful and successful reliever with the Yankees, I wrote WHY THE PEN IS WHERE HUGHES BELONGS back in August 2011 writing: "Many are frustrated and don't believe the hype, others love the Golden Boy and just want him to succeed no matter what. Me? I just feel as though you can't just force the kid to be a starter if he's not."Enter David Phelps, the Boy Wonder with more confidence than Nolan Ryan and he's a kid! He's handed the ball and delivers, every time, which makes me wonder what could be of this kid's future with the New York Yankees. I like what I see. Sure, no one truly knows this early on, but much like all the hype surrounding Phil Hughes back in 2006, Phelps needs some hype as well, he deserves it. In 2012 alone so far, in 3 games he has a 1.08 ERA, 8.1 innings pitched, he's allowed 1 hit, 1 run and struck out 9 only walking 2. That's not just a good pitcher, it's a God, especially if it sticks. Now that's a small batch and he's bound to have a bad outing soon...or will he? His confidence is high, the management in Yankeeland is giddy and it makes you wonder just what the Yankees plan to do with the futures of David Phelps and Phil Hughes.

Truth be told, I want both guys to succeed, but in all honesty even though the Yankees and Brian Cashman preach patience... no one in Yankeeland truly has "patience", especially with a loss like yesterday and a "win-at-all-cost" mentality. Bottom line, the phrases don't go well together. The Yankees would much rather win than wait to win. Let's just hope Hughes can turn it around and Phelps continues to succeed, because this tale of 2 Yankees is about to get interesting...that's the bottom line.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017