Tuesday, March 20, 2012

WHY IS NOVA BITCHING & MOANING? JUST PITCH!

First Freddy Garcia comes out and all but blurts out that he’s unhappy with the Yankees re-signing Andy Pettitte and now comes word that Ivan Nova is bitching and moaning about his Spring Training loss against the Baltimore Orioles the other night. Nova pitched to Gustavo Molina, no relation to the Molina brothers and apparently he didn’t like the signs he was given and just couldn’t keep his pace. Bummer, but it’s Spring Ivan, relax. Here’s what Nova said:

“That affected my game too much, but I feel really good today... I was shaking (off signs) too much. That slowed my game. You start shaking and you get out of what you want to do. I think that happened out there."

The New York Daily News article is HERE. Now let’s be fair to Molina, if you're the pitcher, you need to take charge. Plus, this is Spring and working out the kinks is the name of the game. Who the hell does Nova think he is anyway? This story about Nova annoyed me. This, my friends, is NOT the Yankee way. Neither is Freddy Garcia’s attitude toward Andy Pettitte’s return. For the record, we could go further, this was Phil Hughes less than excited comment concerning Andy Pettitte the other day:

“I worry about the things I can control and that’s it... All I can control is the work I do, the work I do out on the field. That’s the only thing I’m going to worry myself with. Everyone is glad to have Andy back.”

That Daily News piece is HERE. Let's be honest, Hughes doesn't like this idea of Andy back...because if he truly did, he would have answered the question. I'm no shrink but you can tell by his answer that he's concerned about himself and not too keen on Andy Pettitte coming back to the Bronx.

Look, I get the frustration with Freddy Garcia and Phil Hughes. Garcia is a veteran of this game, he wants a steady job, he wants to pitch and just when he thought he finally found a niche after injury, the guy gets slammed with an Andy Pettitte surprise. It appears that all that talk from the Yankee brass wanting and appreciating Freddy Garcia’s hard work is all for naught. It was clearly B.S., don't you think? Same for Hughes, he’s been breaking ass to get back to normal and hope to win 18 games again. Suddenly he’s realized his “Golden boy” title is about to expire if 2012 is a bomb. He’s out to prove himself as well. But that brings me back to Ivan Nova. Nova needs to bite his lip and never sell out his catcher, that's what amateurs do. It’s supposed to be about team and somewhere along the way Nova forgot that. Some could suggest he’s nervous about losing a rotation spot to Pettitte too and is just frustrated, I say it was a slip and he needs to come out and say he made a mistake and “it’s on him.”

God, who would have thought that one of the nicest guys in baseball, Andy Pettitte, could bring out the haters… Geez. I’d hate to see what happens when Jorge Posada un-retires…I kid, I kid.


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017