Tuesday, February 14, 2012

WHY PAUL O'NEILL HAS A CLEAR MESSAGE: FOCUS

I love the Internet. I was checking out Paul O'Neill's official website, PaulONeill21.com and something really caught my eye and I had to bring it to your attention, because bottom line, if you didn't know it was there, you might miss it and this list a great list for any kid who wants to make it in the big leagues...and it's compiled by non-other than the Warrior himself, Paul O'Neill.
  • After God and family, care most about your game.
  • Don’t smoke, chew tobacco, booze, dope or abuse your body, period.
  • DO NOT DO STEROIDS
  • Avoid being a media star. It takes time away from your mental preparations to play.
  • Drive the speed limit on the road and in your personal life.
  • Let the plate umpire know you take bad calls seriously.
  • Always be alert defensively. Defense is half the game.
  • Work on baserunning even if you are not a speedster. It’s a neglected but important skill. (The Mets in the 2000 World Series) Watch Derek Jeter if you need an example. He is one of the great baserunners ever.
  • Learn that’s it’s OK to foul off pitches well. It makes the pitcher work. It gives you another look.
  • Start your at-bat in the on-deck circle. Pay attention to the first pitch offerings of the pitcher. Pitchers are creatures of habit.
  • Let the manager coach. You work for him not vice versa.
  • Above all, remember, baseball is a team game. If you can’t accept that, take up tennis or golf.

I love this list. Read it, give it to your kids to read and damn... I wish this was around when I was playing, I would have followed it religiously if I knew it came from Paul O'Neill.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017