Saturday, February 25, 2012

WHY IBANEZ HAS LEARNED TO LOVE PINSTRIPES

"I'm still mad about the 2009 World Series loss...Up until about a week ago, I was still mad about it, and then I said, 'OK, now I'm over it.'"
-- Raul Ibanez to reporters in Tampa
You have to appreciate the passion of Raul Ibanez. That 2009 World Series clearly was a bad loss for the Philadelphia Phillies and I remember Ibanez in that series and I remember thinking then I respected him as a ballplayer. I felt like he was in a number of big plays, and that got me thinking about his career....16 years and I felt like I always saw him playing the Yankees and he always did something to help put his team ahead where it was with the Phillies, the Mariners or the Royals. This about it, Ibanez is 39 years old, he's been around. Sure, you may think that's old, but the fact of the matter is, it could be worse, he could be 40... like me.Ibanez finalized his 1 year, $1.1 million deal with the Yankees last week and while he wasn't great in 2011, he is a decent ballplayer and the Yankees clearly wanted him over guys like Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon, guys they were familiar with and guys that were familiar with the Yankee way. Believe me, money had a lot to do with it, but they believe in Ibanez which is why they're giving him a shot. I believe that Ibanez will contribute too, he told reporters:

"Putting on pinstripes you saw so many great players put on before you, it's an honor and a privilege."

Wow, that gave me chills... I wonder if it gave him chills saying it. Welcome aboard Raul, we're excited to have you.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017