Saturday, January 14, 2012

WHY YANKEE FANS WANTED GARZA...BEFORE THE SHOPPING SPREE

According to Bleeding Yankee Blue’s latest poll, ya’ll wanted to see Matt Garza in pinstripes, not free agent Edwin Jackson, this of course was before the Yankees signed Hiroki Kuroda and traded Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda...but humor me.

Not only that, many wanted neither of them. Anyway, here's it is:

The idea of trading for Matt Garza after we already have Kuroda and Pineda seems silly, but after all, you guys voted in our poll and I want to address it, I want to be fair to you. Now... where was I? OK, so people like Matt Garza. Out of 144 people that voted, 78 of you thought he’d be a nice addition to the Yankee rotation. I tend to agree with that. Edwin Jackson finished third with only 27 votes, and in voting for signing neither of them, there were 39 of you. Good poll!

So, who would you have given up for Matt Garza? The Cubs just picked up Paul Maholm off the free agent heap, a guy that I was interested in (Read 3 PITCHERS THE YANKEES SHOULD CONSIDER) because I figured we’d be able to get him cheap and we wouldn’t have to trade prospects for him. But with Matt Garza, we need to trade for him. Do you unload Austin Romine?

(In picture: Austin Romine, center)

I mean, we just lost Jesus Montero, a guy Cashman swore would get 500 at-bats with the New York Yankees in 2012, and now he's on his way to Seattle for Michael Pineda. Romine, if the Cubs are interested, would be the next logical choice, if they're looking for catching. Look, I love Romine’s heart, but we have a lot of catching talent already in Gary Sanchez and JR Murphy, Francisco Cervelli and of course our guy Russell Martin, I’d be willing to part with him. I'd also be willing to get rid of Gary Sanchez, especially after hearing that being with the Yankees has gone to his head, read HERE. Sanchez may need to be shaken up a bit, but that's just me.

I would have also parted with Dellin Betances. Sure, we’re taking a chance, Betances could be an 18 game winner one day, but guess what, in the right atmosphere, so could Matt Garza. If we really needed Garza, I’d hand over Austin Romine and Dellin Betances to the Cubs. Now, Theo is going to be a pain in the ass, he’s going to want Manny Banuelos. We need to say NO. We need to test him out and see how the kid does in pinstripes.

(In Photo: Adam Warren)

I have high hopes for Banuelos as does the Yankee brass, but how about giving Theo someone like Adam Warren, or, would the Cubs want someone like AJ Burnett? Burnett’s good, he just needs a change of scenery, this is clear. That would be doubtful that the Cubs would bite on Burnett I’m sure, but it's worth a shot, after all, the Yankees rotation just got better with Pineda and Kuroda.

Look, this may all be for naught anyway, the latest rumors have the Tigers and Cubs talking about a Garza deal, read HERE. If the Tigers were to get Garza, that would be an impressive rotation, but more importantly, the Yanks have upgraded their rotation right before our eyes.

And as far as the poll is concerned, no ones to keen on Edwin Jackson. The latest report had Hal Steinbrenner talking to Scott Boras about the “right deal” for Jackson. Read HERE. There is also a story that suggested the Yankees though Edwin was just too pricey. Read HERE. Plus, since we just picked up 2 guys, I strongly doubt the Yankees even bother with Edwin Jackson now. That's not only a slight at Jackson, that's a slight at Boras. Boras was way too cocky on Jackson... 5 years, $60 million. The Yankees passed and it was the right move, no doubt. If you don't believe me, read WHY BORAS WILL MESS THINGS UP FOR EDWIN JACKSON.

And wow, I’m impressed… 39 of you didn’t want either Jackson or Garza in our polling. You trusted your Yankees, you trusted Cashman and with the new signings of Kuroda and Pineda,,,you guys are geniuses... it paid off. I applaud you.

Whatever the Yankees decide, I support them, after all, Spring Training is right around the corner, and I just can’t wait. It’s going to be exciting, whomever we have out there, but in the end, they’re my New York Yankees, the greatest franchise in the world, and that ain’t bad.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017