Friday, January 6, 2012

SHAKE IT UP YANKEES!

There are 2 reasons I like the phrase... Shake it up! For me, it all started when the Cars made it a monster hit. The song makes me happy and brings me back to a simpler time when it was all easy. No responsibility... fun, fun, fun.


Then, years later Scott Ferrall, (@ScottFerrall) a good friend and terrific sports mind uses it as his slogan. He uses it better than anyone uses the phrase since The Cars did and once again, he makes it fun! I have always loved the phrase Shake it up!

So what's my point? I'm not sure. I guess as the song pours out of my Ipod today, I feel an energy like no other. I’m anxious and excited right now… Spring Training is literally right around the corner and the Yankees have a good team. Sure, we have what we have, nothing more... nothing less. We're the same. Rejoicing is fine if you are super excited about Andruw Jones and of course, the Monster himself, CC Sabathia, then yes, the Yankees did huge things this winter. But the Yankees should have done more and didn’t and all I wanted then to do was to Shake it up!

I wrote WHY I MISS GEORGE STEINBRENNER a few days ago because I do. In the back of my mind, I loved the knee-jerk reaction to getting top guys after a loss in the playoffs, although, I’m not going to lie, I could get used to this patient, laid back approach, too. I see what Cashman's doing... looking over each guy, counting his money, but more importantly, looking beyond 2012 for the big pond of free agents coming down the pike...Cole Hamels... Matt Cain... Felix Hernandez.

Shaking it up would have been nice and it would have required 1 pitcher. If we signed just 1 pitcher, I think the majority of us would have been happy with that. Look, things could still happen right? I mean, stranger things have happened; Alex Rodriguez was signed in February. I was on my way home from a Bucky Dent /Mike Torrez signing when I heard about the trade on the radio. February 15, 2004. It was exciting at the time, especially after it appeared the Yankees weren’t going to do much...then, they did, and eventually, in 2009, the signing of Alex paid off and we won a championship… on his back.

Yeah, I guess I’m just saying I was expecting the Yankees to Shake it up this year too, just like we all were. I knew this "patience" crap was always there, and sure, we could end up with nothing this off season, but what I’d really like is that 1 pitcher, someone to Shake it up, something to get all us Yankee fans motivated. It’s dull in Yankeeland, you have to admit that. We’re all robots searching for any nugget out there to grasp onto… me included. There’s no new news coming out of Yankeeland, it’s absolutely nuts.

So, if the words of Scotty Ferrall and Ric Ocasek… Shake it up Yanks… Shake it up!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017