Friday, January 13, 2012

A PAIR OF ACES FOR THE 2012 YANKEES


So much discussion this winter about how the Yankees can improve their starting five. From free agent signings to trade scenarios, I think we have all just about covered it here at Bleeding Yankee Blue. I've written about or included in a few of my own posts this off season about how I am hoping Cashman still has something up his sleeve before we hit February 20th. So it got me thinking...what could Cashman possibly pull off before Spring Training? Anything? What move can he make out of the blue that will have us all fist pumping like Pauly D on the Jersey Shore.

But, the more I thought about it, the more it made perfect sense...Cashman's move is, well, to do nothing! And I'm OK with that. We wrote about it here at BYB and we've learned to accept it. Read WHY CASHMAN HAS A LONG TERM DEAL. Yes, it's true, we're going to save money for next off season, yeah, it's pretty well known at this point, but more importantly, he is going to rely on two guys to carry this team through thick and thin this year.

The first guy is pretty obvious: CC Sabathia. I mean, we all know that CC is the stud, not only for the Yankees but pretty much in the entire AL. So who's the other pitcher? Ivan Nova or course. Many worry about the Verducci effect with Nova, how an increase of innings from one season to the next could slow him down this year. I'm not so sure I am on board with that.

I know none of us have forgotten about Nova and we are all anxious to see if he picks up where he left off last year. But I think Cashman and the Yankees are looking at him as not just a really solid #2 starter, but as an ace. Almost like CC is "Ace #1a" and Nova is "Ace #1b". I honestly think that Cashman is hoping that starters 3-5 could be any combination of veterans like AJ Burnett and Freddy Garcia and mixing in one or both of the "Killer B's". I think Cash thinks this combo will be enough to get us to the postseason where at that point CC Monster and Nova could then carry us through any 5 game to then, 7 game series. I think I'm starting to buy into what Cashman and the Yankees are doing.Is it far fetched to think that both CC and Nova could win 25 games a piece? Am I dreaming? Maybe... 50 wins out of two starters would be simply amazing and I think we have the two guys who can do it. I know it's nuts, but here's a hypothetical...the 2012 season could look like this:
  • "Ace #1a", CC Sabathia -- 230 IP -- 25 Wins, 6 Losses -- 2.98 .ERA -- 212 K's
  • "Ace #1b", Ivan Nova -- 200 IP -- 25 Wins, 9 Losses -- 3.45 .ERA -- 140K's
I think we are all just waiting for Ivan Nova to explode in 2012, right? and sure, maybe 25 wins is alittle over the top, but never say never. The truth is I think we're all starting to see what this kid could do for the Yankees in 2012. This could be THE YEAR for Nova. If Nova does have a crazy 2012, just think how dominant the Yankees could be in 2013 when they will have the money to spend on guys like Cole Hamels or Matt Cain. Can anyone say DYNASTY?!


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017