Saturday, December 3, 2011

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO JORGE POSADA?

After Jorge Posada confirmed that he and the Yankees marriage is over, many were sad, many were relieved and others wondered… what would happen to Jorge?

It had been silent for a bit and after Heyman tweeted that the Mets turned down Posada (HERE) and then Sandy Alderson came out and said that that isn't even true (Read HERE.) It was then reported that the Marlins might be the next place for Jorge, read HERE. We don't care, we just don't want it to be the Red Sox and we want him to be happy and to at least play.

The whole way the Yankees and Posada parted reminds me a lot of the way Bernie Williams was pushed to the back of the line in 2006. I never liked the way that felt and I would have felt better about the Posada situation if it was done differently, but hey, that’s baseball. Teams need you until they don’t and while I don’t like the way it was handled, it is what it is.

But where is Posada going to go… the Orioles? The Marlins? Home? Who is going to want a 40 year old catcher to back up a younger catcher on a team trying to win it all? Well, Posada is a smart baseball man and his expertise is important on any team. Look, when Russell Martin showed up in New York, Jorge could have bitched and moaned, but he didn’t, he mentored, he showed the new kid the ropes and that translated to Martin on the field, hence, Brian Cashman calling Martin Munson-like…ironically, Jorge Posada’s idol.

I have been fumbling around since Posada announced he wasn’t coming back, because I’m torn. Look, I don’t harp on it, I have plenty of things going on in my life and I don’t sit by the computer Googling Posada’s name every 2 minutes, check my history. The reality is though, you have to think about Posada’s future after he’s given his all for the Yankees all these years.

Whatever Jorge decides is the right thing, because it’s about him and his family and that’s what’s most important. If Jorge wants to play again and another team will give him a shot, I’ll be right there rooting for him. If he hangs it up, I respect that, he will go down as only playing for the New York Yankees, and that means something special. Whatever the case, Jorge needs our support, good luck pal, whatever you decide, we’re behind you 100%.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017