Sunday, December 11, 2011

WAS NOESI THE PITCHER YOU WERE THINKING OF THIS OFFSEASON?

“I just think Noesi is a starter, so one way or another, that’s where he needs to be. I don’t want to waste his time as a long man if we can avoid it.”
--Brian Cashman
I trust the Yankees and Brian Cashman but I don't like the idea of not signing 1 significant starting pitcher during the winter meetings and then turning about and deciding that pitchers like Hector Noesi and to a lesser extent, Ivan Nova are the guys that will save the Yankees rotation in 2012. I could be wrong...it's true Ivan Nova proved he was a major league pitcher and did a great job doing it, but I don't have so much faith in Noesi being that guy. Anyway, you can read about it HERE. The bottom line with Noesi is he's going to get a chance to compete for a startin job just like everyone else. OK, that's fair, but what are we doing here? Last year was lucky and in the end, we didn't win it all. With an extra top starter, we may have. All 2011 season there was worry about how secure the pitching for the Yankees was. There was hope in guys like Brian Gordon for a moment, thinking that maybe, just maybe, we would get lightning in a bottle. Luckily, Ivan Nova pitched well down the stretch and Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia were better than expected. But now, after Hal Steinbrenner voiced concern about the need for pitching after being eliminated in the ALCS, we got butkus. Sorry, let me rephrase, we have Hector Noesi.

These are not the New York Yankees. These Yankees are instead filling the holes, buying time and saving their money for the first day Felix Hernandez can file for free agency in 2014. At that point, or perhaps even at the 2012 trade deadline, they will made a run at one of the most coveted pitchers in baseball. That has to be it ladies and gentlemen, right? Because how else do you let guys like CJ Wilson and Mark Buehrle walk, yet, Hector Noesi is suddenly our savior. It doesn't make sense.

Now, let me state that I like Noesi, but I don't like him as a starting pitcher for the New York Yankees. He's done everything the Yankees have asked of him; spot starts, mop up work and pitching whenever needed and he's just happy to be there. That to me is a great teammate and a guy you want on your roster, but ladies and gentlemen, I don't want Noesi in my rotation, not after what went down last season. When I suggested CC Sabathia needed support, I wasn't thinking Noesi, no offense, I was thinking of a seasoned veteran to eat innings and get wins. (Read WHY THERE NEEDS TO BE SUPPORT FOR CC MONSTER.) Look, I could be wrong and I hope I am, I like to be proved wrong by my New York Yankees, but I just don't see this one...Do you? Comment and tell me what you think.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017