Tuesday, November 15, 2011

WHY WE NEED TO TIP OUR CAPS TO JUSTIN VERLANDER


As a lifelong Yankee fan one thing I can't stand is when the Yankees lose.  Not just games but even when it comes to awards.  I know, I am a bit extreme but what can I say?!  But, despite the 2011 AL CY YOUNG Award going to a player on the team who ended our season, I still have to give props where props are due.  And this time I have to tip my BYB cap to Justin Verlander.  He really did have an amazing season and is very deserving of  his 1st CY Young Award.  Verlander won the AL's Triple crown of pitching, leading the league in wins, ERA and strikeouts. And, he didn't just win, he won unanimously which doesn't happen too often.  In fact its only the 9th time a pitcher received all the 1st place votes.  Anyway,  check out Verlander's numbers this year:

He had a 24-5 record, and ERA of 2.40, and struck out 250 batters.  He also led the American League with a 0.92 WHIP(walks plus hits per inning), which has become a very popular stat these days when measuring a pitcher's dominance. 


Okay, so congratulations Justin Verlander, for now.  Because if you somehow steal the AL MVP from Curtis Granderson next Monday we are gonna have a real problem and the tone of the next blog I write with your name in it won't be so lovey-dovey!


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017