Monday, October 24, 2011

WHY IS LANCE BERKMAN DRAGGING BABE RUTH INTO IT?

I understand wanting to support your own teammate and without question, Albert Pujols deserves a lot of credit after Game 3 when the Cardinals won 16-7 against the Rangers and Pujols had 3 home runs and 6 RBIs, but is Albert Pujols really better than Babe Ruth because as Lance Berkman suggests, Babe Ruth was in an all-white league. Um… what? What the hell does that even mean? Read it HERE by the way. Here’s Berkman’s quote:

“He’s a better hitter than Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson and there’s no doubt about it. I’m dead serious. Babe Ruth, as great as he was, played in an all-white league. Now we have the best talent pool we’ve ever had and he’s doing it in that environment. He’s the greatest.”

Is Lance suggesting that because there are more ballplayers of all races now and Pujols is dominant that means he’s better? I’m not following and clearly I’m trying my best to think this through as I’m writing this…I know, I’m pathetic.

Albert Pujols is by far a great hitter, but Babe Ruth didn’t control leagues and population to determine black and white players. Plus, what’s to say the Babe wouldn’t be able to hack it in a talent pool of today? Babe Ruth is an American icon, not only did he hit, he pitched and was damn good at that as well. Now, I know we’re sticking with hitting here, but either Lance Berkman is one of the most sophisticated scholars in baseball or I’m just too dumb to understand what he’s trying to say. Personally, I find this statement to be ridiculous. Here’s why:

Full Career: Albert Pujols will probably go down in history as one of the top 10 or 20 hitters ever in baseball. He’s powerful and usually clutch, and in his career he’s batting .328. So, I got to thinking, and this could be fun. Because Pujols isn't retired and I'd love to break down a full career for each, I can't so let me take a 10 year span for both players. Basically, it would be their glory days if you will. I took Albert Pujols' first 10 years and posted it next to Babe Ruth’s first 10 years as a New York Yankee, starting in 1920 and will end at 1929. Pujols will go 2001 to 2010.

Prince Albert: 1900 H / 408 HR / 1230 RBI / .331 AVG / 2001-2010

The Babe: 1734 H / 467 HR / 1331 RBI / .355 AVG / 1920-1929

To me, I'd say it's pretty damn close to even with the exception of a better average for Babe, yet, because Albert plays more games, he has a lower average but more hits. Now, I know Lance Berkman didn't have Baseball Reference at his fingertips, but come on, why are you dragging the Babe into this?

Color Barrier: I am not understanding what race has to do with Pujols being better than Babe Ruth as a hitter. There were plenty of very talented white guys that pitched against the Babe, and same with Albert Pujols. Color has nothing to do with it, talent does. We’ve spent decades trying to get away from the color barrier, why are we throwing that out there again? One more time, Babe Ruth played when he played. Sadly, minorities could not participate, but thankfully Jackie Robinson came along.

Lance, I've always liked you, but you’re confused me on this one. Talented human beings have always played baseball, race is irrelevant. If you are suggesting that because of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, someone like Albert Pujols can play baseball and transform into one of the greatest players because of that, I follow you, and agree. But otherwise, I don’t. Babe Ruth was one of the greatest hitters ever, but so were Willie Mays, Harmon Killabrew, Frank Robinson, Cal Ripken Jr. and Ted Williams, not to mention dozens more that are black, white and latino. It’s a baseball thing Lance, not a race thing, plain and simple. You either have the talent or you don’t. Pujols does no doubt, but let’s leave it as that. That’s all.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017