Tuesday, October 25, 2011

WHY I HOPE ERIC CHAVEZ STAYS IN PINSTRIPES


When you think of the New York Yankees, the name Eric Chavez probably doesn't come to mind. I mean, the guy has been with the Yankees for a cup of coffee and there aren't many fans who would lose sleep if Chavez decided to hang up the cleats or the Yankees cut ties with him. In fact, a few weeks ago Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweeted that Chavez is "leaning heavily" toward retirement. (click HERE to read the tweet). But not me. I like Chavez. There is something about the guy that has me rooting for him and hoping he stays a New York Yankee.

When the Yankees signed Chavez last Spring I actually thought it was decent signing considering his resume. I mean I knew it certainly couldn't hurt the Yankees. Early is his career with Oakland, Chavez was one of the top 3rd baseman in the American League. But injuries have crushed him the last 5 years or so. The guy hasn't been able to catch a break when it comes to his health, (read Casey's WHY MR. FRAGILE STRIKES AGAIN! from earlier in the year) but maybe that's what made me a fan of his, he plays hard and never gives up. I mean, I wasn't going out and buying a Chavez jersey or making him my screen saver. (for the record Don Mattingly is my screen saver!) But with the 2011 Yankees, I think he knew his role and just accepted it and I feel turned out to be one of the bench players they had.
Take a look at his stats with the Yankees this year in his part time role:

In 160 At Bats he hit just .263 but, had 26 RBI, and, he hit .415 with runners in scoring position. Plus, he played a very solid 3rd base when called upon. Look, those numbers won't blow you away but if you watched the Yankees this year I don't think his stats alone really do justice for the way he contributed to this Yankee team. It seemed like Chavez always got key hits or knocked in a run when needed most.

I really enjoyed watching Chavez this year and think he could have played a bigger role on this team but once again, despite his limited playing time, he still couldn't escape the injury bug. So what do you do with a guy like this? I for one hope they keep him around. If he can stay healthy (I know, long shot), he really contributes to this Yankee team and I think he would in 2012 if given the opportunity again.

Some cool facts about Eric Chavez...
  • Chavez has won 6 Gold Gloves at 3B for the Oakland Athletics (2001-2006)
  • Chavez won the Silver Slugger Award for third baseman in 2002 (top batting avg.)
  • Chavez led the AL in walks in 2004
  • Chavez was the 10th pick in the 1996 MLB draft and was named Minor League Player of the Year in 1998
  • Chavez is the founder and owner of his own bat company called Diego Bats, (and yes, he used his own bats this year)


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017