Saturday, October 1, 2011

CANO RIDES THE SUPERNOVA

The Yankees lead the ALDS 1-0. I liked typing that.
(Photo: Getty)
"Nova's doing great." That's my 9 year old. Sometimes the most simple statement speaks volumes. He's right. Ivan Nova was terrific tonight. He looked like a seasoned veteran who's been pitching in the playoffs for 10 years. He had total control, for the most part and trusted his fielders to take care of business behind him. Tonight, pitching and hitting was balanced perfectly. The Yankees looked good... damn good.Nova ran into some trouble in the 5th, you could tell, alittle wild, balls in the dirt were making Martin work a bit behind the plate and with 2 men on and a solid hit to Granderson, it looked for sure like Alex Avila was going to score from second. Not so fast, a throw to Derek Jeter and then a throw to Russell Martin and they pegged him at the plate. Martin held onto it, unbelievable. Tie game 1-1 after the 5th. I know the play was a normal type of play, clearly you try and nail the runner at home, but the play just reminded me of the Jeter Flip. Not the same impact of it, but just the smoothness of Jeter, always there, always instinctive and always in the big play. I was impressed. Again... Kudos to Martin for holding onto that ball. That play alone was the turning point of the game for the Yankees. Momentum started there.The Robinson Cano double started the offense and to be honest, it looked like a homer to me. It was a tough call. I am not privy to the rule book, I didn't know that if the ball bounced back into the field, it wasn't a homer. Who the hell knows. I just assumed it was a home run, but I'll take the double. 2-1 Yankees in the 5th.

The top of the 6th for Nova was great; A double play executed by Robinson Cano and then a diving catch to right field by Nick Swisher and you could see the momentum shifting the Yankees way. By the time the bottom of the inning, Mark Teixeira doubled, Jorge Posada walked and Brett Gardner knocked them both in.At that point it was 4-1 Yankees. The best part was after Derek Jeter hit a single, the Stadium was chanting MVP - MVP - MVP when Curtis Granderson came to the plate. With surround sound, I felt like I was there. Once Granderson walked, the bases were loaded and when Cano cranked a Grand Slam, the crowd went wild and I swear to God, I did the sign of the cross. I'm not sure I've ever done that before, but I realized at that moment...these are my New York Yankees...dominant.



The Yankees continued to just hit the ball hard. Robinson Cano cranked another double past Austin Jackson in the bottom of the 8th. Not sure what was more impressive, Cano having 6 RBIs at that point or Derek Jeter scoring from 1st. Great job!
Luis Ayala game in in the 9th, he gave up 2 runs that were Nova runs and at 9-3 with the bases loaded, Mariano Rivera came in and the Sandman closed it out. Beautiful.

Final Score: Yankees 9 - Tigers 3. The Yankees are up 1-0 in this ALDS Division Series.

Tomorrow, Freddy Garcia will face Max Scherzer. Garcia has the post season experience. Hopefully momentum will continue tomorrow after an outstanding performance by Ivan Nova. Bravo kid.

Also, according to Ken Rosenthal, it's confirmed, CC Sabathia will in fact pitch Game 3.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017