Tuesday, September 27, 2011

JORGE POSADA: WHY IT AIN'T OVER YET

Poe has not had the best season, with age comes decline. But I have never given up on my Yankee hero. I hear it all the time and read it on Twitter. “Posada doesn’t deserve to be out there, he didn’t earn it.” Really? He hasn’t earned a spot in the New York Yankees roster after 4 rings and multiple big plays? I know I'm living in the past, but last time I checked the Yankees signed him to a contract... to play and the guy contributes any way he can. Look at last night at first base. He has 2 big plays both coming home and both times, he got the runner out. Sure, this year's been a long road for Poe, but the guys got more heart than anyone I’ve ever seen and when he come up big… it’s big.

(Photo: AP/Martin tagging runner on Posada throw home)

Jorge Posada was never a super athlete, but for years he’s been in some of the biggest plays of our Yankees generation. Remember the winning hit last week.. the dude's still got it. He got that hit not to say “Goodbye”, but to say “Hello, I’m not going anywhere”, not yet at least.

Yes, the times they are a changing, Russell Martin’s in Jorge’s old slot, and youth like Austin Romine and Jesus Montero have emerged as the future of the Yankees. Sure, the future looks glorious, but it was glorious for years. Have we forgotten? What is so wrong with a true Yankee champion who’s been a staple in the clubhouse for years, still being able to contribute when he can? Nothing.

Posada brings pride and maturity to this Yankees club. Same with Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. You can say to me, "Well, Jeter and Mo contribute, Posada hasn’t." Have a Heart. Yes, it’s business, and yes the harsh reality is Posada is older, but the guy was moved out of a spot he manned for 17 years and put into a new role with more time to think about his career crumbling around him. So, he couldn’t hack it early, that’s no reason to write him off. So, yes, while Mo and Jeter “contribute”, it’s partically because they play a hell of a lot more than Jorge Posada at hte positions of SS and Closer...where they started. Posada is in his dimished role has contributed the best he could with what he has left.

I know, I sound like an apologist for Posada. I sound like a promoter, an agent. No, I’m just a fan, a God damn Yankee fan that won’t forget what got us here. So, call me a fool, that’s fine, but Posada is a big part of this team until the last pitch is thrown this year. And then, when the lights go out in the Bronx and we put our 28th championship award in our trophy case and say our goodnights, then and only then will we say goodbye to Jorge Posada. Because as far as I’m concerned, he’s contributed just fine… and you know what? He’s earned his spot, on our team this year and on our postseason roster... That's the bottom line.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017