Monday, September 19, 2011

THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT AT YANKEE CATCHER

(Photo: Getty)
The Yankees have many questions in numerous positions including starting pitcher, shortstop, 3rd basemen, and outfield for the future of the franchise. But there is one huge bright spot that the Yankees have covered for years to come...Catcher.Currently the Yankees starting catcher Russell Martin is doing more than enough to deserve a new contract, but because the farm system is so stacked, Martin may not get one with the Yankees youngsters Jesus Montero, and Austin Romine waiting in the wings.

Both have recently been called up, and both have shined as the future of our team. Between the fans and Montero and Romine, it's a true love connection. Montero is obviously option #1 because of his bat, while Romine is a close second as a defensive upgrade over Montero.

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com has a great piece about both Montero and Romine. In it, he talks about the day in day out learning curve for both of them this September, and how they approach each day as they feel happy to be part of the big club.

Gonzalez writes: " Romine and Montero have prepared by poring over their scouting binders and trying to soak up as much knowledge about the Yankees' pitching staff as possible.

'I need to know what we need to do and how to pitch certain guys,' Romine said. 'Being the young guy, I want them to know that I take this seriously and that I care deeply about our pitchers throwing well.'"

He goes on:

Montero would figure to be in the Yankees' postseason plans because of his bat. But if Cervelli -- on the disabled list retroactive to Sept. 9 -- continues to be out, there's a chance both would make the Yankees' postseason roster.

"'I don't know what's going to happen in the playoffs,' Montero said. 'I hope to be with the team. I'm hoping, like whenever they give me an opportunity, however I can help, I'll be here. It's going to be the best to be in the playoffs.'

'I really haven't [thought about being on the postseason roster],' Romine added. 'I've got so much stuff going on right now, and if that happens, that would be another amazing thing going on in my life. But for right now, I have to worry about getting through [the next game] and showing that I can catch; that I belong here and that I can do it.'' Read the full piece HERE.

I tell you what, the future looks exciting. Look, we love Russell Martin here at BYB, but the reality is, the catcher position was stacked for a reason. We believe in these kids and who knows how long Russell Martin will be with us. Even 19 year old Gary Sanchez is down on the farm and expected to grow into a superstar in the next few years. Our catchers will be the bright spot of the Yankees for years to come, and I am as excited as anyone to see these players develop.



--Will Cohen, BYB Staff Writer



Please comment, we have DISQUS. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017