Monday, July 4, 2011

WHY WE CELEBRATE AMERICA...AND BASEBALL

On July 4, 1776, we claimed our independence from Britain and Democracy was born. Kids these days don't know that. If I was to simply ask what 1776 means to kids these days, they would look at me and tell that's how many songs they have on their ipod... and that's probably a low number.

The point is, we in America celebrate our independence on Independence day every year...July 4th, and it started in 1776. Believe me, I'm the first guy to wants to barbecue and have a beer, but we're doing it for that reason, America's independence from Britain.

We Americans love what America represents; Freedom, Apple pie and Baseball. At least I do and it got me thinking about the old debate that comes up from time to time. When did baseball officially begin in the United States? I was able to find some dates, but no one really and truly knows I guess, because it's not easy to find. Apparently it started in England first, before it ever came here, and that was when it was called Rounders.(Painting of Rounders)
In 1744, in "A Little Pretty Pocketbook", there is baseball's earliest reference. "It is a striking and fielding team game, which involves hitting a small hard leather cased ball with a round wooden or metal bat and then running around 4 bases in order to score."

That sounds like baseball to me, but I was looking for references to when it started in the United States, so I dug further and found that the earliest known mention of baseball came in 1791 in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

Then, I read that there was another reference of "base ball" where it was regularly played in none other than the best city in the world, New York City in the now Greenwich Village area in 1823.(In Photo: Abner Doubleday)
Then there is the story of Abner Doubleday and his invention of baseball in 1839 when he officially wrote the rules of of the game. That story has been disputed but I've also read it to was true.
(Painting of Baseball in Hoboken)
And then, the story that I've always heard and tend to attached my beliefs to; that baseball started in Hoboken New Jersey, played on Elysian Fields by the New York Knickerbockers on June 19, 1846.

So many references and mentions over the years and I am not entirely sure which "early mention" is accurate. I'm sure they all are in some sense. I know one thing though, I love the game of baseball and I always have. It makes grown men become boys of summer and boys become men, playing a game as a team and thriving to be the best, as a team for 9 innings. There is no time limit, it's team against team and for a brief moment, pitcher against hitter and runner against fielder. It's about strength and smarts and ability and heart.

One more thing. If you've never seen it, you need to watch Ken Burns BASEBALL Documentary. Buy the series, watch it on a rainy weekend and learn everything you need to know about America's Favorite Pastime. It's incredible.

Look, I just wanted to share this with you today because I knew no one else would and I found it interesting, that's all. When I think of early America, for some reason, I always think of baseball. My mind went wondering and I needed to check it out. I'm glad I did.

Independence and Baseball... to me, that's what America is all about. Hope you enjoyed this.


Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017