Sunday, July 17, 2011

WHY HUGHES WAS HUGHES FOR YANKEES

(Photo: New York Times)
I'm not going to lie to you, I was nervous. What I didn't want to see was Phil Hughes implode and more and more questions about the Yankees rotation would surface, especially after Colon not getting out of the first inning 3 days ago and Freddy Garcia getting the loss in his start. Thank God, my worry was all for naught. Phil Hughes was Phil Hughes and that was huge, thank God.

Phil looked like his old self and his velocity was up to almost 93 mph. He allowed 4 hits, 2 runs and walked 2 while striking out 5 in 6 innings. To me, that sounds like Phil Hughes is on his way to truly being Hughes again. Let's hope so, because with CC and Burnett, we could really use a reliable 3rd. No, I'm not putting down Colon or Garcia, when I say that, I'm merely giving you the reality... the Yankees don't need broken down pitchers and while Colon and Garcia were huge in the first half, the second half is more important. Phil Hughes needs to continue what he did today, and by gum, he'll become our reliable number 3 come October.

The hit of the game came from Curtis Granderson for sure in the 4th inning, a 2 run double. Granderson keeps doing what he has been doing all year, being clutch.

Russell Martin had a nice double today and even Ramiro Pena contributed with a sacrifice.

Overall the Yankees did what they needed to do to win today and they definitely contributed to Hughes win. The big story of the day though is Phil Hughes. He's on the road back and full of confidence after this start, no doubt.

Final Score today: Yankees 7 - Blue Jays 2.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017