Monday, July 11, 2011

WHY CANO CAN DO ANYTHING

(Photo: Getty)
When Robinson Cano agreed to enter the Home Run Derby, I didn't know what to make of it. Should I be happy, should I be worried that the derby could screw up his swing like it did for players like Bobby Abreu? I decided to watch it anyway, after all, I wanted to root for the guys who represent the Yankees and Cano was in there representing.

Man oh man was I surprised. A great highlight of the night for was seeing Russell Martin, Curtis Granderson and David Robertson watching Cano in awe and then later in the final round getting the whole round involved to cheer on Cano. These are teammates of Cano and they see him every day. They looked at his homers and just were blown away. I was blown away too. Cano is the future of the Yankees and this night was just great.The final round of course featured the Yankees verses the Red Sox... Cano verses Adrian Gonzalez. Talk about a matchup, it was just brilliant. The only thing better would be if Chris Berman's mic didn't work. I didn't mind hearing the other guys, but Berman's days are over. Hang it up pal.

In the final round Adrian Gonzalez had 11 home runs. Cano came out of the tunnel looking like he was in the zone. My 8 year old stayed up tonight to see Robbie in action. He said "It's like a Yankees, Red Sox game." Wow, they start early don't they? He was right... it kind of was.

Once he tied Gonzalez at 11, Jose Cano, Robinson's father walked out from the pitcher's mound and put 1 finger up. "One more," he said. "I love you Dad" Robbie said on the opened mic. Robbie went back, took a drink of Gatorade, stood into the box and lit the next pitch up. My 8 year old quickly said "Yankees win... Thhhheeeeee Yaaaaannkkkeeees Wiiiinnnn." Cano is a superstar and yes, it's only the Home Run Derby, but for us, that was more touching than any moment in sports; A father who believed in his son, and a son who believed in himself.

Congrats Robbie, you deserve everything good that comes your way.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017