Friday, July 15, 2011

THE CURIOUS CASE OF SERGIO MITRE

When Sergio Mitre came back to the Yankees this year again, I didn't think too much of it. I figured the Yankees were going to stock pile arms and see how he was pitching and use him on occasion or not at all, after all, with the Brewers, he was 0-1 with a 3.27. To me, I didn't think having Mitre back in a limited capacity would really affect the New York Yankees. After all, we are a smart team and if we learned anything from Mitre, we learned it the last time he was here... he's not good. Mitre, while probably a great teammate offers absolutely nothing to better or help our club. That's just a fact, it doesn't matter if the guy's starting or relieving or mopping up...ultimately, there is not need to for this guy.

I wrote WHY IN THE WORLD? on December 2, 2010. In it, I give my theory to why Mitre keeps coming into games and keep coming back to the Bronx. Now, while my post is clearly a joke, Joe Girardi's sick fascination with Mitre is not. Mitre and Girardi have a long history together. Girardi has a personal attachment to this kid, if it wasn't evident before, it damn sure is now. I don't care if the Yankees are losing 25 to 3, Mitre doesn't belong on this rotation, starting, relief, bullpen, parking lot warm up...nothing. Joe, in fairness to the Yankee fans who believe in pride for the pinstripes and elite playing ability, this poor guy just doesn't have it and you need to open your eyes. Brian Cashman is the GM and you have to stop getting in his ear and helping him make choices on guys that we don't need.
"Joe Girardi likes Sergio Mitre, but he likes him the way he was when he started on the Cubs when Joe Girardi and he got to know each other. Girardi saw something in Sergio Mitre when he came up with the Cubs back in 2003...He saw potential. But the talent never really ever panned out. There was never a shot at becoming a superstar. That's life, it sucks for Mitre, but it's life."

I wrote that about a week after Sergio Mitre returned to the Yankees this year in WHY WE DON'T NEED MITRE...EVER. In it, I try to again understand in my post why this keeps happening. It makes no sense to me, but it is clear this is a connection that runs deep, if it really didn't, Mitre would still be on the Brewers, putting up decent numbers and not on the New York Yankees where he allows a run or more literally every inning he's out there. It's just not fair to the Yankee fans and the team, and it's not fair to this guy who Joe keeps believing in. I have to laugh because I saw Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and in it, the wife looks at Dewey and she says to him: "I do believe in you, I just know you're gonna fail." That's how I feel about Sergio Mitre. I never want to totally NOT have faith in anyone the Yankees put out there, but when Mitre comes in, there is no upside...It's disappointing, it's tragic and I'm sorry, "It's over Johnny."

I am calling on Brian Cashman to do the right thing here. The New York Yankees are on a Quest for 28 this season and the world knows it. Cashman and Girardi are the closest to this situation. Now, while Mitre didn't lose it for us last night, he did put the game out of reach and to me, that is unacceptable. Yes, I blame Bartolo Colon for last night's loss, and yes, Boone Logan didn't help, but Mitre is clearly out of his league and to be honest, I'm not sure a major league team deserves him. He's not on the level.It may sound harsh, but this is the reality. Time's up, we need to go on without you Sergio. You got your ring in 2009. This is 2011.

Time to cut to cord Joe....time to cut the cord.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017