Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WHY IT WAS A GAME WORTH WATCHING

(photo: Getty)
The Yankees didn't score alot tonight, but then again neither did the Orioles. One thing I like to do when I watch the game each night is give you all a slight recap. But it got late early and I had to get to bed.

I at least want to give you an idea of what worked and what didn't work. Tonight, we beat Buck Showalter and to me, that works.Much much earlier in the game, Bartolo Colon pitched well and until the 8th inning. He only gave up only 0 runs as well. Unfortunately Mariano couldn't secure the 1-0 lead Colon had and the game because tied in the 9th, but to me, Big Bad Bart was magnificent. Bartolo Colon, the big joke that everyone laughed about in the off-season, including me, has proven that he a talented starting pitcher again. You can't argue with it and you have to give this guy all the credit in the world.

It was a brutal battle of 1-1 with both teams getting opportunities. Finally in the 15th inning, Cano knocked in 2 runs on a double and the are now Yankees 5-0 against the Baltimore Orioles this season. More importantly, we are 5-0 against Buck Showalter who tried his motivational skills in the beginning of the season, bashing our Captain and trying to get his team to look like a bunch of contenders. So far, that's failed and I couldn't be happier. In this game, Cano was the star for sure.
(photo: AP)
3 important notes. Chris Dickerson, the new kid who is filling for Nick Swisher in right field got beamed in the head during last night's game. Mike Gonzalez drilled him and it came after the Cano double. I know that beaming was called from the bench and I know Buck called for it. You can tell me it wasn't, but I know Buck and he can be a sore loser. Now, Girardi has not said much about it, like always, so we will wait until later today to hear if the kid's alright and we'll have to hear about retaliation. I suspect we're bigger than that, but, I wouldn't mind drilling Wieters in the back just to send a message.

2 was Alex Rodriguez who, despite maybe having to get his hip checked out "just to be safe", still managed to collect 4 hits. I think he may be out of his funk.(photo: AP)
Thirdly, you have to give credit to this kid Hector Noesi who kept us in the game last night and got his first win.

Oh and props to Boone Logan, the left-hander came in the game and struck out Luke Scott on four pitches and got Wieters on a flyout. Game over, Yankees win!

That's 2 in a row. Final Score: Yankees 4 - Orioles 1. Final game against the Orioles today. Believe me, it would be nice to keep winning again. It would be nice if we played with Jorge Posada in the starting lineup as well. Do it Girardi, don't just let Jorge rot on the bench, let him work out the kinks before it's too late.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty low of F Showalter to have the pitcher bean the batter in the head. That's crap and they should get fined. That lump looked nasty and can only pray that he is ok. Cano hits a double, Yanks are ahead and the next guy gets beaned-could it be that obvious. I hope the Yankees don't stoop to that level. Colon pitched great and so did the bullpen, the only glitch was Mo but I would have went with him too. Cano to the rescue again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No manager ever wants a player to get hit in the head, but i wouldn't be surprised if they just wanted to hit Dickerson to send a message. I just think that Gonzalez fast ball got away from him and accidently cracked Dickerson in the head. Hope he's ok.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017