Monday, April 11, 2011

WHY YOU RUB SOME DIRT ON IT

I needed 24 hours to digest last night's lost. I had a lot of questions in my head and no answers. I wanted to think it through. Then I thought about being 8 years old and playing Little League. At that age, I wasn't very good and I remember being in the batter's box in one particular game and the pitcher nailed me right in the ass. I swear to this day that brat threw intentionally at me. After all, it may have been Little League, but to us kids, we were Pro. Anyway, I remember crying because it was a real baseball, not the soft strike baseballs they have now for Little Leaguers. Those balls are like sponges. I remember the coach came over, he grabbed some dirt with his hand patted my ass and told me "Put some dirt on it, you'll be fine." I walked to first base and you know what? I was fine. I stole second the next pitch.

My point is last night we lost 4-0 to the evil Red Sox but it's not the end of the world. Josh Beckett surprised everyone, including himself and pitched a good ball game. What can you say? Sometimes it happens. I also know the Yankees didn't do squat to score runs for CC and guess what? You can't win ballgames that way. But at the end of the day, you rub some dirt on it and move on. It's all you can do on April 11th.

There are plenty of players to come down on in last night's loss, and I'm not about to single everyone out. I will however tell you who's under the microscope in this New York City of panic and criticism.
(photo: Getty)
CC Monster just pitched his third game of the season. Guess what? CC does this. I'm not worried about him and I'm not concerned. This seems to be the ritual with him the beginning of every year. I will tell you this though, if he keeps pitching well and there is no run support, pretty soon it's going to bother him. Look, CC pitched no gem last night, but he is a smart pitcher. It almost looked like he was being creative, like certain pitches weren't working for him and he changed strategy. I like that about him. He never gives up.

Jorge Posada is suddenly falling out of favor. Not fair. Everyone just loved him when he started the season hitting 4 home runs. Now, he has a .138 batting average and everyone is "worried" that the former catcher turned DH can't hack it. Guys, leave the dude alone. We do need an adjustment period and to just jump on the guy for not hitting is just absurd. Cut him alittle slack, it's not August. If anyone can adjust, Posada can, and will.
(photo: Anthony J Causi)
The Captain is getting heat. I don't like this disrespect. If there is one thing you know about Derek Jeter is he will never let you down. He knows the Yankee way and shows us every year. If there's one thing I hate in life it's being asked about your job, over and over again. It's like being assigned a project with a deadline and everyone asking me "Can I give you a hand with that?" Actually No, you can't in fact. I find it annoying that you would ask. I know my job, I know my target and I know what I need to do. That's Derek. We all need to back off, that goes for beat writers as well. Just let him do his job. It really annoys me that the writers ask him the same exact questions every day. "Are you concerned that your not hitting?" "Do you think you'll be moved back in the order?" "You're old, do you feel old because you look old?" The last question was a joke but you get my point. Let Derek work it out. He will. He's our Captain.
Nick Swisher is batting .219. Concerned? No. Rooting for him? I am. The guy needs to click, once he clicks, he'll start slamming the ball again. Come on Nick, your fan club is waiting for it. Give it to them.

Mark Teixeira is batting .189. Look, he started out strong but no worry, this is what Mark does. I was just hoping for a hot start. Who knows, maybe it will come again. But right now, he looks alittle lost.

I saw a lot of articles today, a lot of blogs, some critical saying how the Yankees are old and this is the beginning of the end. Yes, these guys are in their 30's, but look at the bright side... 30's are the new 20's and these guys are part of the greatest franchise that ever lived. The last thing we need to do is panic. Let's the boys work it out.

I say to you all, do not fret. The Yankees may have lost to the Sox 4-0 last night (HERE), but all is not lost, just 1 game. We are in April baseball and we're working out the kinks. Look, none of these guys are perfect ball players, all make mistakes or have mini-slumps some time. Some just need to get that feeling again, that confidence again. One thing we can't do is crucify them because they are only batting .200 with 32 at bats. That batch sample is just not fair. All I'm saying is give it some time.

Tomorrow AJ Burnett and the Yankees are home against the 6-3, first place Baltimore Orioles. I'm expecting a bounce back game for the Yanks and a 3rd straight win for Burnett. I'm also expecting Jeter to jump out of the way of many inside pitches and Buck Showalter to crack his clipboard over his leg in frustration. Maybe he'll even get hurt. Maybe, just maybe, he'll need to rub some dirt on it. We will see.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

2 comments:

  1. The one thing that people have to understand is that the numbers at the beginning of the season can vary very quickly because there is such a small sample of games compared to at-bats. So I personally am not concerned with the numbers too much right now.

    What does concern me is what I see happening at the plate. I see Jeter, Gardy and Grandy taking too many fastballs straight across the plate; I see Jeter flailing at too many pitches out of the zone and high; I see Granderson reverting back to the same swing and stance pre-Kevin Long and for the past few games, I see Jorge swinging through too many fastballs that he should be making contact with.

    I'm in no way "panicked" yet, but yes, I am concerned. This team right now is depending way too much on the long-ball. This isn't going to stay effective for very long.

    And as far as Sunday's game, no one had a chance against Beckett. He was simply on his A-game. And I would argue that CC was ace-like. Only an ace could pitch with nothing going, and still hold a team to one run with men on base in every inning. He's got to get credit for that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017