Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WHY WE'RE NOT IN TAMPA BAY ANYMORE

It's a new day and I've had 24 hours to reflect on last night's loss. It sucks but I'm over it. Rafael Soriano knows it's all him and it won't happen again. It can't, because if it does, Soriano's doomed in the Bronx, and not so much because he blew the lead, but because he dodged the media.

Twitter was on fire today talking about the Soriano disappearing act and many weren't too kind.

When read all the tweets that Soriano was nowhere in the clubhouse after the game, my initial thought was, the dude was embarrassed, he didn't want his face to be seen. Then as the day went on, I kept reading the tweets, the reports and I became angry at RaSo. I'm thinking to myself "Who the hell does this guy think he is?"

Bad move RaSo. One thing I've learned watching my Yankees all these years is this... you blow it, you publicly take your lumps and move on. Soriano should have met with reporters last night. That's not going to help his already damaged rep in New York. It's got to be hard to only have 1 "close friend" in Mariano Rivera. Soriano's gotta branch out alittle and get a personality.I remember the day Randy Johnson was on his way to his official Yankee announcement, he went after a reporter and it was caught on tape. "No cameras" I remember him saying. All that time I'm thinking "No cameras? You're a Big Fish the Yanks just inked and you're dodging us?"
It was Randy's New York christening so to speak and it didn't go well for Randy. He later apologized but the damage was done, Randy and the New York Media didn't mix and never did.

Now in fairness, Soriano has publicly apologized and that was reported by many tonight, and I say, "I accept", but will it happen again? Is this guy too big for his britches and does he need to be knocked down to size?

Soriano said: “The reason I didn’t do it, I got mad because I think that’s a game CC is supposed to win. It didn’t happen and that’s why I got mad. I don’t feel comfortable to talk.” The full article is HERE from Byran Hoch.

So what did we learn the past 24 hours? Don't mess with the New York Media? Don't come to New York if you can't handle this market? Be a pitcher, not a belly itcher? (I'm not sure that applies here.) I think RaSo's learning about New York in a crash course this week. He'll get there, no doubt. But one thing he's got to realize up front... we ain't in Tampa Bay anymore.

Look for a followup on the Soriano saga from BYB's Senior Writer Mikey Blue tomorrow morning.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Not worried about Soriano adjusting to New York.....he's got plenty of friends in the Bullpen who throw in the Bullpen with him.....namely, Mariano, who's had his share of "New York" moments!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017