Tuesday, March 8, 2011

WHY CASHMAN'S CREEPING

Brian Cashman's work is never done and it isn't enough that the Yankees rotation is temporarily fixed with great pitching outings from Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon and youngsters who pitch like 10 year veterans. (I mean have you seen the Killer B's? touching 93, 94, 95 mph. Nice.) No no, Cashman's on the prowl, like a cat and if it means looking at every pitcher who throws a baseball well, Cashman has a call in to them.

Sunday, rumor's surfaced that Yankees looked at the Astros' Brett Myers. An experienced pitcher the Astros are looking to unload. My guess, Cashman's mulling it over, but I don't see it happening.

To me, Brett Myers is not a better option to what we already have if you think about it. For instance, Freddy Garcia just pitched 3 perfect innings yesterday against the Braves. To me, Myers has never stood out to me as being spectacular and I'd go as far as say I'd take AJ Burnett over Brett Myers. You heard it here first.

Look, after this long cold winter, the Yankees have been connected to Francisco Liriano, Josh Johnson, Felix Hernandez, Chris Carpenter, Fausto Carmona and Carlos Zambrano and my cousin Brian. All these pitchers are quality guys and would be a home run in the Bronx. Then I hear about Myers and I'm luke warm. That's a gut feeling, nothing more. No doubt Myers is a good pitcher, but who would you want out there to represent the Yanks right now? Freddy Garcia or Brett Myers. Based on what Garcia's done and his positive Bronx attitude, I go Freddy.
Personally, with what were seeing from our pitchers at this moment, I'd much rather roll the dice, get through April and May and see where we are. Meanwhile, hopefully the Seattle Mariners collapse and the Yanks can then respectfully pry Felix Hernandez from last place Seattle. To me, I say get a quality, young pitcher. King Felix is it. You play to win now, not in 2013. (That's a shot at my friend Dan who's a Mets fan. Much respect Dan.) In a trade scenerio, we may be able to sprinkle in an outfielder and some non "Killer B" youngsters for him. I don't know if this will ever happen of course, but there is no doubt that King Felix in pinstripes may be the greatest sight my eyes have ever seen, for sure.

On the other side of the coin, Brett Myers is a career 87-71 with a 4.20 career ERA in nine seasons and was 14-8 with a 3.14 ERA a year ago in his first season with the Astros. It could be a temporary fix, yet switching from the NL to AL may not be a good idea.

It is possible Myers could be a good pitcher until our youngsters are ready next year and beyond, plus, over time, he may be a cheaper option. Cashman knows best, I don't.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017