Monday, January 3, 2011

WHY IT'S THE YEAR OF WAIT

Ladies and Gentlemen of Yankeeland. Lend me your eyes. While it hasn't been officially announced, I am sad to report that unless there is a "Cashman-January" surprise as it's been speculated my Andrew Marchand, 2011 will be THE YEAR OF WAIT. How do I know? Read this:

Ok, while this headline is obvious, it worries the crap out of me. Why? Because it's a negative headline on a website that every Yankee fan goes to for the big and positive news stories about their favorite team, the New York Yankees. It's from the Official Yankees Website. What we don't want is uncertainty and bad news. "OFFSEASON LEAVES YANKEES WITH QUESTION MARKS." Read it. Now, read it aloud and stare at Andy's picture. That my friends is uncertainty. We are in a world of hurt if this Yankees team doesn't get Pettitte back OR if we don't sign another veteran starter.

Right now, all indications are Andy Pettitte is finished. You can't fault the guy, if he's ready to hang it up, he's ready. He had some great years for us. It's sad and most likely, in 5 years, he and Bernie can have their numbers retired and we'll all give them a standing "O" for their years of service.

So why am I being so negative you ask? Because it's about simple thinking. There is nothing complicated about this. If my friend Jimmy can tell me "If he wanted to come back, he'd be back already." I think, "Really good point." Right? Simple thinking. Couple that with reports that Pettitte hasn't started his pre-season workouts and we have more problems. Everyone who knows Andy knows that he has a strict workout schedule and he's had it for years. If you are 38 years old and need to get ready for the next season, trust me, you're getting ready. And from what I've been reading, Andy's not getting ready. So yes, all of this worries me.

Now, on the positive side of the coin, you have guys like lenNYsYankees who's going with his gut. He tweeted:
Man, I hope he's right.

Now Andy is supposed to make a decision this week, that's the word on the street. Soon enough, we all will know. That being said, this waiting game is holding the Yankees back. Now Cashman says ""Andy isn’t holding us up from doing anything else." But honestly, he has to say that. I've always believed the Yankees needed a veteran no matter what and if Andy came back, well, that's a plus. I wrote that in a few days ago in WHY NOT SORIANO INSTEAD OF SORIA and I believe that. That's not coming from a Yankee expert, that's coming from a person on the outside looking in. It's obvious.

Now listen, I love our Yankee lineup, from 1 to 9. We have great and smart hitters. I put our lineup against anybody, even the evil Red Sox. We have the speed, we have the power and we know how to execute. I'm not worried about that. The pitching situation is different. Our great hitting needs to be accompanied by smart veterans sprinkled with youngsters. If you don't believe me, then ask the Phillies about that formula. Ask the Red Sox about that formula. Vets and young pitching will make a substantial impact on the AL East and beyond. Without it, we won't get very far.

SABATHIA: I'm not worried about CC Monster. I know the knee surgery was minor, and I know he's our horse. Innings may be cut alittle short this year because he's been working hard the past 2 years, but he's ol' reliable.

BURNETT: I am concerned about AJ and so is Brian Cashman apparently because it's being reported that Yanks pitching coach Larry Rothschild will fly out to meet with AJ and talk mechanics. That is good. But can they make our Number 2's head right? Let's hope Larry has some magic in a bottle for Mr. Burnett.



HUGHES: Phil is coming off an 18 game year. He is due for a monster season, even better than 2010. Less struggle, more smoothness. I believe in this kid and so do many of you.

NOVA: Allegedly he's been pitching in a winter league somewhere and pitching quite well. This coming from Tim Bontemps in his piece called NOVA STATES CASE FOR YANKEES ROTATION WITH DOMINANT WINTER LEAGUE SEASON. There's 1 problem, no one knows for sure, except Tim. I can't find any other story in reference to this and it worries me alittle. Now, Do I have beef with Ivan Nova? Actually, I don't, it's just me being impatient. He's got growing pains to get through, but once that happens, Ivan Nova can really develop into a quality pitcher. I see a future for Nova if he can only stay calm with men on base. If he can't do that, well, let's just say that's a big problem for any pitcher.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen of Yankeeland, that's what we have for our rotation if Mr. Andy Pettitte retires. Now, if you want to add that loser Mitre into the equation, do it on your time because I have no use for that guy.

You know what I'd like? I'd like the Yankee brass to stop thinking so hard and maybe just keep it simple like my friend Jimmy or @lenNYsYankees. Yankee Universe is begging for someone, ANYONE, to be put into the rotation, someone who's pitched 5 years or more in the majors. Someone who has the will to win and who's excited to be a New York Yankee. And if Mr. Andy Pettitte comes back, hot damn, that's just dandy. But the last thing we want is 2011 to be THE YEAR OF WAIT. That's just not the Yankee way.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017