Monday, October 14, 2024

STRAP IN! #YANKEES GIVE THE BALL TO RODON IN GAME 1!


I'm on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as I write this. Aaron Boone has made up his mind, and Carlos Rodon will be on the mound for game 1 against the Cleveland Guardians. I am not feeling confident in this choice, but honestly, I don't think I would feel more confident with another name either.

Let's leave Gerrit Cole out of this, because he is pitching game 2. We wouldn't have to debate Cole over any other starter, but in this case he isn't an option. The Yankees were torn between Clarke Schmidt and Rodon and honestly neither are the "perfect" option and have their pros and cons....but dfid they make the "best" choice?


Tough call. I have to say I really like the potential I see with Schmidt. I think he is poised on the mound and doesn't emotionally unravel like we have seen from Rodon. He doesn't have the same experience as Rodon does though, so that could be a reason why Baboonie ultimately chose Rodon. I strangely feel like if Rodon doesn't deliver in game 1, I think Schmidt in game 3 is a good strategy. 

As for game 1, based on Rodon's splits home and away he pitches better at home. I still think he gives up too many home runs at home, but his 3.11 ERA at Yankee stadium is better than his 4.69 ERA away. It's a big difference. When Rodon is on, he's tough to beat but when he's not it gets ugly fast. I'm sure the Yankees will have a short leash on him but it's still something to think about. Not to mention, he better be "on" today because the Guardians love to face left handed pitching.


I am very critical of Boone, I know a lot of us are... but for once I am not absolutely hating on his decision. I'm not super confident with it, but there is a strategy behind it. I just hope the strategy works. The Guardians have some good talent on the team, so this won't be a walk in the park. The Yankees need to be strategic and play good fundamental baseball to get to the World Series.

So here it is. Today is the start of the anxious feelings and nerves that haven't been THIS elevated in a long time. Rodon starts the tone. I hope Baboonie makes the right moves at the right time. Here we go....



--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.