Thursday, January 1, 2015

SHOW UP, BE CONSISTENT & GRIND IT

"I would always say 'Grind it!'"
- Jorge Posada, from BYB's THE FULL POSADA INTERVIEW

There is something incredibly endearing about a hard worker. They may not be the best at their job, but they keep pushing. They work towards their goals. They show up. 

A few days ago a friend posted a video to his Facebook and tagged me in it. I think the video speaks for itself. Watch:


The video opens with a quote given by Derek Jeter when asked "What made you so great?" In a very Jeter-like fashion he responds "I wouldn't call myself great. I just prided myself in consistency." And this can be said of Jeter, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, and everyone that wakes up in the morning and pushes to meet their goals. 

I alway say I am lucky to have grown up in this baseball era. It wasn't perfect, but the Yankees Core Four made it unforgettable. It wasn't that they won the World Series every single season. It was that they showed up. Every game was played with more heart than the one before. It was like the World Series every game. There was no coasting for these guys. It was all in; all heart, grit and dedication. Every single game. 

I'm a writer. I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night writing, and creating stories to tell. It is who I am. So I write. On BYB some times I get really positive feedback, and other times I get guys like Jeff, who decided to leave a comment that made all RED SOX FANS LOOK BAD. It's all a part of what I do. I take it in and process. Then I have two choices: Keep writing, or give in to all the Jeff's of the world and quit. Hey, Jeff! I'm still here! 


I know my accomplishments aren't comparable to Jeter's. But here's the thing, if I give up because of one persons negativity, then I'll never be half as great as I could be. One of my favorite quote from Jorge came right here on BYB, when Casey gave us THE FULL POSADA INTERVIEW. Casey asked Jorge what advice he could give his son to keep him inspired. Jorge simply said "Grind it!" It's so simple, yet so profound. He didn't choose something complex. Just "Grind it!" And we know... we know it means "keep your head in the game, and never give up."

The same could be said of anything you do. Show up and give it all you've got. Be consistent in your work ethic. If you do an A+ job today, don't show up with B- quality tomorrow. And when times get hard, grind it! Push back, push harder, and break the barriers. 


Ask yourself "do you want it badly enough?" Doesn't matter what your "It" is... that new job, new house, new you... do you want it? Really truly want it? Good! Now start busting your ass and get it! It's not going to be handed to you. The only person that can get it to you is YOU! Where would Jeter be if they gave up when he were sent back down to the farm system? And when Jorge was told he would never be starting catcher, what would have happened if he gave up? And what if Mo couldn't see past the milk cartons, and rocks he used to play with? 

Anything in this world worth having is worth working hard for. Show up, be consistent, and grind it! 




--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer 
Twitter: @e_morales1804




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017