Friday, March 21, 2014

I GOT TEIXEIRA'S BACK NO MATTER WHAT!

Sometimes they say "You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone"....and I believe that. I am going to be cliché again and put this back to that common comparison of a relationship. What about "the one that gets away"? Sure, things may start out OK and there are lots of phone calls and you spend lots of time together and you have that giddy feeling. Maybe after awhile that goes away. That fresh new feeling fades and maybe your eye starts to wander. Maybe eventually you let that person get away and then after reminiscing you realize....you miss them.


I'm also going to be honest, when it comes to an active player on our team that I would miss if the Yankees "broke up" with them, it would be Mark Teixeira. So in response to our very good friend and BYB writer Mike O'Hara's piece "HEY TEX, IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S ME" I have to "O'so" respectfully disagree!  I have read his stuff and a lot of times I nod my head and agree, he knows his baseball. I know I am not the only one who disagreed this time, several of our readers did too, but at the end of the day we need that difference of opinion, right? The world would be rather boring without it.

Now, while I agree with some of Mike's points, I have my own take on things. It's what makes us different after all. As far as Tex's emotional side (or maybe lack there of) I get where he is coming from. Tex is a very focused man. He is also what some people may call a little more "conservative" and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is going to  have that Jorge Posada flair and he isn't going to give you that Derek Jeter fist pump, but he has his moments. For example, the first one that comes to mind is his lead off home run in the 11th inning to finally beat the Minnesota Twins during the ALDS. He celebrates when the moment is right, otherwise he is in the zone on the field and I'm OK with that.


Not everyone can be like Derek Jeter or Paul O'Neill. In fact, I don't think there will EVER be anyone like Jeter ever again in my lifetime. O'Neill had a passionate side that was matched by no one. When he was frustrated, you FELT it even through the television. That kind of raw emotion just cant be compared. The players are rare breed and I don't think comparing them to anyone else really works. It would be like comparing that Vanilla ice cream reference again to say.....Mint Chocolate Chip. You just can't do it.


And what about that whole "not playing through injuries" thing? Valid point there I can see where he is coming from but I do have to go back to a few ideas here. If we are going to worry about playing through injuries what about Brian Roberts? He is injury plagued to say the least so why aren't we talking about him? Remember when Tex hurt his wrist last year the first time?


He TRIED to play through it. When he first got hurt he tried to stay in and he played defense afterwards but when it was time to bat again he just couldn't do it. Then after some rest and a rehab stint down in the minors he tried to come back again but it was too soon too fast. He wanted to be playing but rushing things could have delayed him even MORE than it already has. The Yankees do have to keep him healthy through 2016. Injuries are part of the game and if the Yankees can't fill first base without Tex, then whose fault is that?


Now as far as Tex not being a true Yankee....I question that too. What or who is a real Yankee? For me a true Yankee is someone who represents himself well both on and off of the field. There are some players who shall remain nameless that do not have the "role model" image like Tex does. He is squeaky-clean and I don't mind that, especially not after all of the chaos last year. Don't we want our kids to look up to someone like Tex and want to grow up to be like him?


Instead of the old "I want to be like Mike" phrase, I am going to keep it modern and say "I want to be like Tex!"


Tex said Don Mattingly was his hero, wouldn't you want your son to say the same thing? His own kids can say that and there is something to be said for that.


I love how involved Tex has become in not only New York but in Connecticut also. Harlem RBI is such a worth-wild cause, and you can tell that he not only loves what he does for those kids but he BELIEVES in what he is doing. It's one thing to do charity work, but it is another thing to really connect with the cause.


After all of the YES Network footage I have seen with him interacting with those kids and helping create the programs there I have such a new found respect for him. He is changing those kids lives and he enjoys what he is doing, it's not just another part of the job to him.


So what about what kind of player he is? Now let's be honest, Tex isn't going to come out and tear the cover off of the ball during April and May, but can we really hold that against him? We have known this about him for a long time. Every player has their "defects" so to speak but some things you just can't change, like that uppercut swing he has. If you try to change too much then that could completely disrupt everything else they do that is working. So yes, I agree he is a slow starter with a less than perfect swing but every year except for 2013 we were counting on him for 25+ home runs and 100+ RBIs. Yes, we pay him crazy money but those stats are what we get from him so what more can you be asking for?!


That is some INSANE production and unless you can find another available first basemen available right not that has that kind of track record.....I will gladly stick with what I have. He works hard ON the field and he is a professional who carries himself well. So what exactly is wrong with the kind of player he is?


And while offense is an important part of the game, we can't forget about the defense. This is especially going to be key for us now that our infield is weaker then recent years. We are going to need Tex to be an anchor out there for us now that we have lost Robinson Cano and Alex Rodriguez. Tex is a gold glove first baseman. People have quickly forgotten that. If there is no defense on the field then guess what? Close ball games are going to be a nightmare for us. The great thing about Tex is he trains so hard that you can SEE what that does on the field. Any ball that is hit in his general direction he will track down. Those fast hops? Not a problem. Line drives? He has them. Chop hits down first baseline? No worries. There are some very good players out there that play first base, but when it comes to the defensive skills I still say he is the best.

So while I am content with what I have, I agree with some of Mike's points but I am not looking to break up with Mark Teixeira anytime soon. He is still like Old Faithful to me, and he portrays what a real Yankee should be.


He may not be every fan's favorite....but he is one of mine and he will be remembered for more than his slow starts, his stats are good proof. Sometimes it is nice to change things up a little bit and rock the boat....but in this case I am going to stick with my Vanilla and be happy.

It's OK Tex, it's not you.....because I think you are a keeper!





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ



 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017