Wednesday, March 26, 2014

HEY BAUTISTA... ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE!


What's special in baseball? To everyone, there 1 or 2 or 3 things that are very special in this great game. Is it hitting a home run? Maybe having your team win the World Series? How about watching another player perform well?  Do you tip your cap if you are a peer in the game and see greatness on the other side of the diamond? Or, do you say something to the press that will no doubt cause a stir? If you're Jose Bautista, you choose that one, just because you don't want to give another club, and in this case, the Yankees, too much credit.  That's what I think happened recently with Jose Bautista. Don't know what I mean? Keep reading...


Brendan Kuty of The Star Ledger has the story and writes: " The saga didn't ensnare at least several players with Toronto, where Tanaka's expected to make his first big-league start April 4. Count slugger Jose Bautista among them. 'I mean, it's just a different pitcher for me,' the right fielder said Sunday after the Blue Jays' 4-3 win over the Yankees at George M. Steinbrenner Field. 'Other than him coming from Japan and having some good seasons over there, I don't think there's that much special about it. It's just another opponent.... I can't tell you much about him until I see him,' he said. 'All I heard is he's had some pretty good years in Japan and that he throws a split and that's it.'"

Translation; "Had some pretty good years in Japan" insinuates Tanaka's been around for a while. "He throws a split and that's it" indicates that Bautista isn't reading the same papers that we're reading about Tanaka. He sounds arrogant.  He sounds pompous...to me at least.


Now look, this story isn't getting much traction in the Internet world because it's not that interesting, and neither is Jose Bautista.  But it's clear to me, a Yankee fan, that this is sour grapes. This is a guy stuck in Toronto and Lord knows it hasn't been easy up there if you're a fan of the Blue Jays. Every year the Jays claim to have a "contending team", only to not.  It must be frustrating if you're a Jays fan.


I do feel for them because I remember the Joe Carter years and they were great for them.  Jose Bautista in turn, probably feels for the fans and he's taken the "I don't really care" approach when it comes to Tanaka. You know... Masahiro is not "that much special."


Meanwhile, what is special to Jose Bautista? Social networks I guess. That ridiculous #FaceofMLB contest was a joke by Major League Baseball, and partially because Jose Bautista whored himself to the fans, begging for votes and would "follow back" fans who voted for him on Twitter. Really?


The best part was he lost to Eric Sogard of the A's. Guess who voted for Sogard... all of Oakland... and most of New York!  Boom!


So, Is Bautista still bitter? Does he really just doesn't care? Hey Jose, can you see? How about maybe giving props where props is warranted? The Yankees made a move because Tanaka was talented.  How about good sportsmanship?


Look, Bautista is a dynamic power hitter. Many love him. I'm sure Masahiro Tanaka respects him and assuming Tanaka pitches in Toronto next week, which seems to be the plan,  it's gonna be interesting, don't you think?

Now look, it's true that we here at BYB seem to care about this "non-controversy" more than Bautista, Tanaka and many of you do.  But I need to be honest with you; Being a pro ball player is hard work.  We all can agree. Personally, for me, I applaud all these guys that make it to the pros.  I wonder though... why couldn't Bautista just say something pleasant like, "I hear Tanaka's got a nasty split, I can't wait to face him". Wouldn't that sound more competitive, maybe more complimentary instead of sour grapes?


Who knows. I do know this... "Special" for Bautista means what's good for him. To be the #FaceofMLB rather than actually earning it legitimately.  Let's face it, Tanaka earned his role with the Yanks through talent.  Some can say he's been over paid and "not all that", but I say the jury is still out on that. In the meantime, can't we all get along?


I leave you with this, the answer I was looking for in a leader like Jose Bautista, but didn't get. This came from Edwin Encarnacion who clearly understands good sportsmanship and competition... minus the trash talk. Edwin said:  "There's going to be a lot of Japanese people in the stadium... and in Japan, they'll be watching, too. So, I would like to face a Japanese pitcher."


That's fun... competitive and exciting for baseball. Am I right? Bautista needs to wipe the scowl off his face. Act like you've been there before!

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. As a yankees fan living in the Toronto area trust me he is arrogant cocky dick who begs for votes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017