Thursday, December 12, 2013

HEY GRANDY, I AIN'T MAD AT YA!

In the swirl of Yankees off seasons moves, one stands out the most to me. The one they didn't make. I am talking about Curtis Granderson going to the New York Mets.

I like Granderson. I think he is a real class act. A genuine good guy. It's hard not to like him. He is well mannered, and very well spoken. It speaks volumes of his upbringing. His parents were educators, and you can see how well they raised him. Granderson is respectable in every way. And then he went to the Mets.

It seems like Yankees fans are absolutely irate about it, and I just can't wrap my mind around it. The Yankees made Granderson a qualifying offer. I don't think that anyone is surprised he turned it down. We all knew that he would get a better deal by moving on to free agency. We also all knew that the Yankees weren't going to really pursue him. He is a great guy, but his defensive skills are on the decline, and his strike out ratio is outrageous.

Now the anger from Yankees fans comes from three places. The first is that he left. The second that he went to our cross town rivals. Okay, maybe that one stings a little. But, Granderson has to work. The Mets offered him a contract and he took it. I'm okay with that. It allows him to stay in New York and continue work with his charity. Sure, I'm not a big fan of the Mets, but I'm okay with this.


The third is his press conference. During the press conference he stated that he heard "Real New Yorkers are Mets fans." It's laughable. Anyone that has sat in the bleachers during a Yankees game can tell you how well Granderson fed off of the energy from the crowd. He obviously liked being a Yankee.  But as a new member of the team, he needed to say something that would endear him to a new set of fans. Granted, he could have said that New York is a great place to play, but that wouldn't have been enough. There is a clear rivalry between the Yankees and the Mets. We are always battling to be Kings of New York. He had to be specific. It is a smart PR move.

I get it. It's a gut check to us Yankees fans. Like really? Real New Yorkers? Puh-leeze! You don't get much more New Yorker than me, and I can assure you I am a die hard Yankees fan. But I get it. This is a business. He did what he had to do. I don't like it, but I'm not mad at him for it. And let's be real, that is not the worse thing that guys have said after hang in up their pin stripes. Granderson is a good guy, and I wish him the absolute best.

Hey Mets fans, you better treat the Grandyman with some love and respect, or you will have to answer to one ticked off Yankees fan.



--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804




Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017