Tuesday, December 24, 2013

CHRISTMAS, FAMILY & THE BYB iPOD


There's plenty going on today.  Some are getting last minute gifts for loved ones.  Some are wrapping and others are even decorating their tree today.  I am doing all of the above.  I actually started 2 days ago cooking...
This is my pot of sauce and meatballs.  I call it #BYBgravyandmeatballs on Twitter because to me, the whole idea of family, friends and food and this Christmas holiday is very important.  My meatballs cook in the sauce at low heat slowly, constantly stirred and they are delicious. That's right, I'm tooting my own horn... I'm allowed once in a while.  We'll have this tonight with my parents world famous eggplant parm and I'm sure my kids will be off the wall excited.

I was able to get a few last minute gifts for special people in my life and as I was putting them away, I saw one of my former little league pitchers running away from my porch. Puzzled, I came down stairs... but he was gone.  On the step was a small gift bag.  It was addressed to me, a gift on Christmas eve.

I opened it up and the card read, "Thanks for a great baseball season!"  Next to the card, was a book of famous sports quotes.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't get teary eyed. I was truly touched.  I realized just then that had an impact on this kid, a kid I trained in the Spring! In other words, he didn't forget it.  The truth is, I used to post a sign in my dugout during the games.  It was my favorite quote from Vince Lombardi.

The quote read:

“Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can.” --Vince Lombardi

If you saw my spring club, you know that quote was a perfect fit.  But as I sat there looking at that card, and holding that book, I was blown away.  I did something special... and someone recognized it. Kindness makes the world go 'round.

I went about my business at that moment and had alittle spring in my step after that. I fired up the iPod and Christmas officially began. 



I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra and Johnny Mathis in my house as a kid. My parents played the Merry Christmas Mathis album like crazy every December.  This song is on my playlist this Christmas.  



I mentioned Frank Sinatra and it's important to point out that besides Sinatras entire catalog, there were also some amazing Christmas songs by Frankie. I love Sinatra's version of Jingle Bells.



As I grew up a bit, I became obsessed with Harry Connick Jr and all of his music. His Christmas Albums are by far some of my favorites and all of his songs will be played like crazy over the next 24 hours.  Here is one of them that I truly enjoy. 



Mariah Carey's Christmas album got me through the cold months of college and I still play this album to this day.
   


Billy Squier was always a favorite of mine and I remember this song and music video as clear as the day I saw it the first time on MTV.   



And finally... to keep with my MTV theme... Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing The Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth.  I remember this video as well.  It gives me chills.  

Look, the next 24 hours are going to be alittle nutty in my house.  Egg Nog, Church, a nice meal with family and  friends and of course, a whole lotta presents and happy children.  It makes you stop and think about the good things.  Life goes pretty fast.  At Christmas... it's good to stop and look around and realize what life's all about.  Take a breath, hug your kids and realize that it's OK to enjoy yourself once in a while.   

I also want to take a moment to give my thoughts and prayers to a family I've never met, but a close family friend of theirs sent me a note offering concern for this military family because he loves them dearly.  It's the Bunyan family.  Chuck Bunyan is a Sergeant Major General in the United States Army.  They have a lovely family and they adopted a child named Lilly.  But one thing is missing this Christmas season.  Chuck and his wife Joan lost their eldest daughter Brianna in a car crash on Demember 19th. She was 17.  


Words cannot explain just how heartbroken I was to hear this news and I don't know the Bunyan family other than to read their tragic story.  But I have a family and you do too and if you have heart, you know this is a very difficult time.  So say a prayer tonight.  Hug your family alittle tighter tonight.  Recognize loss and appreciate family this Christmas season.   To the Bunyan family... I am so sorry for your loss and to Chuck, I appreciate your service sir.  If anyone would like to donate to the Bunyan family, you can do that by clicking HERE. God Bless the Bunyans.

Finally, to my BYB family... enjoy Christmas, and thank you always for your support of Bleeding Yankee Blue.  We have built a family here. We are appreciative of that family and will continue to serve you.  Over the past 3 years we developed into a "go-to" place for Yankee news, baseball news and life and it's because of the readers and our writers that this became a reality.  Words can't describe just how blessed I am to have such incredible people in my life.  From my direct family, to our BYB pals David in England, the Moses family in Australia, the Sabathias, the Posadas, Pete Caldera and to all of you readers that constantly keep the conversation going.  Even my former little league pitcher who dropped off a special gift for me today.    It just goes to show... kindness makes the world go 'round, but you gotta give it to get it.  That's a life lesson... write that down.



 Merry Christmas.




Oh, and hopefully tomorrow we'll have a few special treats coming your way.  Maybe something from the Sabathia family, maybe news about Masahiro Tanaka... hey, maybe Natalia will have more "Christmas Yankees", or maybe we'll have an exclusive interview from my second born child...the one I call "Peanut".  Maybe... 

Then again... maybe I'll try and relax and enjoy my family.  We'll see. Any way you slice it though... I love you guys.  Thanks

Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017