Thursday, August 22, 2013

ORTIZ: DEMPSTER WOKE THE SLEEPING MONSTER


With so many opinions being shared about Ryan Dempster beaning Alex Rodriguez, the most interesting to me was David Ortiz's. Turns out, Big Papi does not approve.

In an article in USA Today (HERE), Ortiz said "I didn't like it. I don't think it was the right thing to do. But we don't all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy. It's not that I didn't think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone's on their own. But we've got Tampa right on our heels, and that pitch woke up a monster in the Yankees' team at that moment."


I don't like Ortiz. He's a thorn in my side, but I know that is only because I am a Yankees fan. If I were a fan of another team, I probably would view him differently. As a fan of baseball, I am aware that he is  on of the most well liked, and well respected players in the league. I know it is difficult for some of us to understand how, but it's true. Scary, right?

I have to give props to Ortiz here. And trust me, that was difficult for me to write. This is one of those cases where it is easy to go with the flow, but difficult to stand out. Dempster is his teammate after all. Any sign of division in the Red Sox clubhouse usually sends Yankee fans, and baseball fans in general, into laughing fits. But in this case, Ortiz is right. Though I strongly disagree that Dempster is "a great guy." Like I said earlier this week, throwing at someone makes you a coward. Ortiz wasn't speaking as a friend to ARod, but as a player. One who probably doesn't appreciate being thrown at purposely. One who knows that a baseball coming at you upwards of 90 MPH hurts.

He was also speaking as a competitor. One who realizes that all the Yankees needed was a single spark to bring them back to life. He realizes that all Dempster did was fan the flame. He did indeed wake a sleeping monster. With Tampa nipping at the Red Sox heels, this couldn't possibly be what they wanted.

Got to admit, it makes me smile knowing that the Yankees put the fear of God in Big Papi. The fact that he is aware the team is a legitimate threat to the Red Sox makes me happy. Big Papi knows what the team is capable of, and would have preferred us to remain dormant. Can we all just take a moment to imagine Big Papi chewing Dempster's head off.


Ortiz: Why did you do that?
Dempster: I always put my team first.
Ortiz: Yea? And you think giving them the energy to make a come back is putting the team first?
Dempster: Well... I...
Ortiz: Yea! Nice going, jackass!

Even if Dempster shows no remorse over his actions, it's got to sting a little that the most respected player on his team disapproves. I mean, what an ego deflate! "I'm a bad ass... Nope! Ortiz says no." Now I have to go disinfect. I just gave David Ortiz props, and agreed with him to an extent. Feeling a little unclean. I wonder how much tomato juice it will take to get this stink out.

 
--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer

Twitter: @e_morales1804




The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017