Monday, June 10, 2013

LET'S MAKE A MICRO LEAGUE BASEBALL NETWORK

Nerds stick together. I am happy to say that I am a baseball nerd who still has a binder full of useless statistics from a game I played on an old IBM PC Jr in the 1980’s called Microleague Baseball.  It’s been an interesting journey the past several months revealing the fact that I was a nerdy kid who played this slow moving, stats heavy baseball computer game. But something happened when I showed my cards in IS MICRO LEAGUE BASEBALL DEAD? ... there were other nerds…THANK GOD!

You see, I’m being alittle nostalgic lately.  I found my old 5.25” floppy disks and the Micro League Box, but in this day and age, you really can’t play floppy disks on a computer anymore.  I searched the Internet for days and hours trying to find a 5.25” disk drive that could perhaps be plugged into a USB port. Sounds easy right? Nope.  That appears to not exist.  Then I was told there were disk drives that did that, but they were for the smaller 3” floppy disks.  Well, that doesn’t help me.

Then someone sent me an email revealing that there was a link on the Internet that would allow you to download Micro League Baseball to your computer.  I shared that with you in MICRO LEAGUE BASEBALL IS IN FACT ALIVE & WELL, but truth be told, I don’t download anything to my computer because there are viruses and who knows what else out there.  I gave you that warning as well.  I didn’t endorse the link, I just told you it was out there.  Then the search for Micro League Baseball seemed to die.


 Then, the other day, I received a comment that stated the following:

“Not only do I still have my micro league baseball, I have it on a CD Rom disk. I'll gladly burn you a copy & find a way to send to you. My only condition (hope) is that you & I arrange a way to play online. I would gladly whoop on any sissy Yankees fan who would dare challenge my mighty 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates squad. Seriously though, I love ML & have played it for nearly 30 years. If you respond, I'll send you my email to discuss further. Recruit others! We'll form a league of idiots who have all the time in the world to waste! –Dan”

Now before you get on Dan for calling us “sissy Yankee fans”, know this, it’s a joke.  I look past that when I see the eye on the prize…Dan wants to try and get something going here.  Perhaps alittle Micro League Network that we can play online, together, as nerds! Something that perhaps that would allow up to sign up for and play each other, maybe like Strat-O-Matic or something.  Now, truth be told, this is way over my head.  I have no idea how any of this computer stuff works, but someone out there does.  

Dan, I am serious when I say that I want to discuss this with you.  My email is Bleednyankeeblu@gmail.com. Get in touch with me and let’s figure this out! And to all of you Micro League Baseball nerds out there, let’s try and get this together.  Micro League Baseball may have been the greatest game of the 1980’s when it came to stats and the game itself.  These days it’s much different.  Let’s try and get something going here.  If you read this and you have ideas how to get this “online” stuff going, let me know as well as how I can get a copy of Dan's game on my own computer... let’s make this happen!  I’ll make it a permanent link on Bleeding Yankee Blue if we can, that’s how serious I am… and, I’m still a nerd… that never changed... hopefully you guys are too! 

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017