Saturday, June 16, 2012

MY GRANDFATHER, JORGE POSADA & LIFE LESSONS

On this Father's Day weekend, I started thinking about my grandfather...and baseball. You see, I was kind of a tomboy growing up. I didn’t have my father but my grandfather definitely made up for it. He taught me about power tools, plumbing and baseball. My grandfather and I bonded a lot over baseball. He had this habit of making every strike out a lesson. He’d point the player out and say, “You see that? He swung for the fences. He struck out now, but he’ll be back swinging his next at bat.” It wasn’t until last season that I really understood it when I watched Jorge Posada get back up to the plate every at bat and battle it out.
Posada made his major league debut on my eleventh birthday. My grandfather called it a birthday present and I grew to have this biased love for him because of it. There are very few people who rooted harder for Posada than I did last season. Frankly, it was an emotional season for Jorge lovers everywhere.On September 21st, while I sat in the bleachers and watched Jorge hit a two RBI single that put the Yankees in the lead and ultimately won the game and clinched the division, it hit me.

Baseball is not just a game. It’s a life lesson. You go out and do your absolute best. Sometimes you fail, but you always have to get back up and keep fighting. You always swing for the fences. It’s a lesson that my grandfather taught me and I’m sure most fathers teach their children. It’s possibly the best lesson any child could learn in life.

So, from children whose fathers, or father figures, taught them amazing life lessons, there aren’t enough words of gratitude to express how important you all are to us. Thank you!



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer




ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017