Sunday, May 13, 2012

WHY MOTHER'S DAY IS SPECIAL TO ME

This is my mother as a child.  She had no idea what she would accomplish in her lifetime at this very moment.  Yet, as her life went on, she instilled values in my brother and I and taught us respect, honor and doing our best, every single time.  If you lost, at least you could still hold your head up high because you were "all in" trying to do your best. She believed that, and soon enough, so did we.  Both of my parents are pretty incredible people, but on this Mother’s day, I need to take a moment to highlight who I am today and why I became that way. 

I’m sensitive, I’m thoughtful, I’m grouchy and I’m loving.  I take the time to hear what people are saying and then I’m sure to say exactly what’s on my mind back.  I believe in compliments… both ways and I believe in cheering someone up if I know they’re having a bad day. I love to laugh and will cry at the right moment, like if my kid got the winning hit or won an award at school, seeing them smile…what can I say, I’m waterworks.

I don’t smoke and don’t do drugs but I believe in a glass of wine or a beer once in a while. I believe in trying to live life to the fullest, but careful not to take many risks…I pick and choose carefully. I have never believed in what can not be accomplished, but instead think about how it can be. I believe in raising my children to be successful and smart and to achieve great things in life.  My wife and I want our children to shoot for the stars. We want them to understand loss, feel the thrill of victory and never say “I can’t”.  I want my children to learn failure just once… so they feel that sting and they never want to feel it again.  I believe in being kind, but if you cross me or my family, I’m not always forgiving and circle the wagons quickly. Most importantly though, as I look at my mother right there in that picture, I realize just how similar we are as people.  All these things I learned, I learned from my mother and father.  There were always more fun times than bad times and I could never say they didn’t love me, because if they didn’t, I wouldn’t be telling you any of this.

Sure, you may think this has nothing to do with the New York Yankees, or baseball or anything important, but the truth you’d be wrong. It has everything to do with believing in yourself.  So many times I stood in the batter’s box or on the soccer field as a kid and said “I can’t do it”, yet we were there the next night doing it again and I did.  So many times in life I would study for an exam and said “I couldn’t”, yet, the next day, I had accomplished it.  So many times I would call my mother and tell her that “I can’t handle the kids”, yet, all I needed was some kind words and I realized, I could.  I didn’t just figure it out my myself, I learned all of it, every single emotion and belief from my mother.  So mom, at this point you’re balling your eyes out, and so am I.  So I’ll tell you what you would tell me, at this very moment… it’s OK. 

You’re right… it is OK and it always has been even when I wasn’t sure. You did good mom… you did real good. Thanks...

Happy Mother’s Day.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017